Has it ups and downs...

Current Contractor - Faculty in Phoenix, AZ
Current Contractor - Faculty in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy the interaction with studensts. I enjoy helping people who are trying hard to improve their life situations through education. The university provides workshops to expand expertise in teaching methods. The classroom technology is very good and makes it easy to be organized and effective.

Cons

Fewer and fewer classes are being scheduled. Enrollment has sharply declined. Management practices directly affecting faculty are not clearly explained.

Advice to Management

Let the faculty know how scheduling decisions are made. Let the faculty know how approved courses are determined. Let the individual faculty member know when changes are made to his or her approved courses.

reviews filtered by
  1. Easy job but no opportunities to grow

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a steady job with 40 hours, you will find it here. The opportunity to work full time and go to school to earn your degree is definitely here.

Cons

There is nowhere for you to go, management opportunities are slim and even the option to make additional money is almost abandoned altogether.

Advice to Management

Create more places for strong employees to grow into instead of drawing names from a hat for promotions.

2. Not what it used to be

Former Employee - Enrollment Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Enrollment Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Nashville campus has developed an excellent culture in which every employee is valued and treated fairly. We were all on the same page and working towards the same goals. If you have something that you need to discuss with campus leadership, their doors are always open. They listen to their people and make adjustments when necessary. I'm sure that there are other campuses out there with a similar culture.

Cons

Unfortunately, senior leadership at the organization can not say the same. The company as a whole is headed in the wrong direction. They aren't listening to their people nor are they compensating them fairly. They are pushing online enrollments an seeing huge dropout rates and ignoring local campus success rates. They say that there is career progression, but it is a broken system and of no value to the organization or its people. Having been a manager at UOP for the past 7 years, I found it increasingly difficult to keep my team motivated when the organization did nothing to promote career progression. There is little motivation for front line employees to perform beyond the most basic expectations. These are contributing factors as to why they have seen a 40+% decrease in total student enrollment in the past two years.

Advice to Management

You are headed in the wrong direction. What was once a great place to work is now a sinking ship because you aren't in tune with what your students or your staff need. Three years ago I would have given UOP a five star rating. Now it is lucky to get three.