There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix

Provided flexibility, top management disconnected with employees

Former Employee - Student Services Coordinator in Tucson, AZ
Former Employee - Student Services Coordinator in Tucson, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers provide a fun working environment

Cons

Lots of turnover, centralizing, and layoffs

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. University of Phoenix doesn't care

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

convenient way for working people to get an education, professional staff, most advisors do really care about their students

Cons

Upper management doesn't really back up what they say and their actions clearly show that the employee is not even close to being a priority.

Advice to Management

If you are not going to back it up, do not say it. Better leave things in the unknown than prove yourselves to be deceptive.

2. Fine for occasional adjunct teaching but not viable for full-time work

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at University of Phoenix part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience in learning ins and outs of online teaching; relatively small classes; some flexibility in developing course assignments; fairly good workshops; online grade book is easy to use; flexible schedule.

Cons

During recruitment, I was told 2 classes at a time was the norm for the 1st year, and that full-time teaching positions would be available after my first year if I performed well. Because of vacillating enrollment, teaching assignments are now quite limited, despite very positive peer evaluations and effusive praise from my mentor during training. I've known several instructors, including my mentor, who left because their workload dropped from full-time to an occasional class. Many others have left because the assignments are no longer steady; sometimes you get new classes as soon as the current ones end, and sometimes there's a gap of a few months between classes..

Advice to Management

During recruitment, make it clear that the normal class load is 1-2 classes at a time, often with 2-3 months between classes. If you set expectations with potential new faculty, they can make an informed decision. For existing faculty, implement a method of assigning classes that makes sense. If you want to use a combination of tenure and peer evaluation scores, that would be fine. Right now it seems as if classes are assigned by throwing darts.