University of Phoenix

www.phoenix.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix

Provided flexibility, top management disconnected with employees

Former Employee - Student Services Coordinator in Tucson, AZ
Former Employee - Student Services Coordinator in Tucson, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers provide a fun working environment

Cons

Lots of turnover, centralizing, and layoffs

737 Other Employee Reviews for University of Phoenix (View Most Recent)

A position that really helps student become full time adults and full time students.

Current Employee - Customer Resource Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Resource Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A resource specialist is part of a team that can really make a difference for an adult student. This is a great company that believes in the value of education in society.

Cons

The position is still being established nation wide, which translate to there is not straight career path to move up or gain raises.

Fine for occasional adjunct teaching but not viable for full-time work

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at University of Phoenix part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience in learning ins and outs of online teaching; relatively small classes; some flexibility in developing course assignments; fairly good workshops; online grade book is easy to use; flexible schedule.

Cons

During recruitment, I was told 2 classes at a time was the norm for the 1st year, and that full-time teaching positions would be available after my first year if I performed well. Because of vacillating enrollment, teaching assignments are now quite limited, despite very positive peer evaluations and effusive praise from my mentor during training. I've known several instructors, including my mentor, who left because their workload dropped from full-time to an occasional class. Many others have left because the assignments are no longer steady; sometimes you get new classes as soon as the current ones end, and sometimes there's a gap of a few months between classes..

During recruitment, make it clear that the normal class load is 1-2 classes at a time, often with 2-3 months between classes. If you set expectations with potential new faculty, they can make an informed decision. For existing faculty, implement a method of assigning classes that makes sense. If you want to use a combination of tenure and peer evaluation scores, that would be fine. Right now it seems as if classes are assigned by throwing darts.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix