University of Phoenix

www.phoenix.edu
  www.phoenix.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix

Alright, but not a career

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time

Pros

I worked at a campus that had great employees who really tried to do what was best for the student. I was fortunate enough to have a set of good managers who helped me improve my skills, and set me up for future jobs outside of UOP.

Cons

There is no room for growth. I worked here for over 3 years and there was never a promotion opportunity. Management at the campus level is being pulled in too many directions and this tends to create a snowball effect that rolls onto the EA's.... There is the constant fear of losing one's job and micromanagement is a BIG problem. Upper management and execs are too detached from the day to day functions of the Advisor roles to be affective. And I am coming from a good campus.

management does not listen so this advice would go on deaf ears

709 Other Employee Reviews for University of Phoenix (View Most Recent)

Academic Counselor

Current Employee - Academic Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Academic Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping students achieve their goals is rewarding; your days go by fast because you are always busy; we have excellent software to help manage our workload; tuition benefits are amazing

Cons

Micromanagement is common; not very many opportunities to move up in position; executives and senior leadership are out of touch with front-line staff needs and wants;

Managers that are humble, always wanting to learn, lead by example, and develop a strong working relationship with their employees are the best.

If you don't drink the Kool-Aid, be warned!!

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Chicago, IL

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay was reasonable compared to the work - its not hard to dial a phone!
    If you are currently pursuing your degree at UOP, they will pay 100% of your tuition...but it still doesn't make it worth it!

Cons

The managers were not leaders, they were better salespeople than you. The atmosphere of the company was to get as many students enrolled as possible, which isn't always in the best interest of the students, which is a big part of why I left. The offices were very "clicky" and quite honestly, I'm too far removed from high school to deal with that. Also, management "highly recommended" (read: twist your arm like only your mom can do) OT to get ahead but would hold it against you if you only worked 40 hours a week.

Hire LEADERS, not just good salespeople. Also, GROW UP. This is real life - not high school. You can't win just because you are more popular. These people are trying to better themselves by going to school. You should hire and encourage people who care at least half as much.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix