There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix

Good Experience. Excellent training and technology.

Former Employee - Executive Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Executive Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good managers with some exceptions

Cons

too much micromanaging, and spend too much money on consultants who do not know the industry.t

Corporate management is disconnected from what most people do, way too much outsourcing.

reviews filtered by

Complete downward spiral and in disarray

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are a blessing. I've developed some great friendships. Reduced cost for going to school, but I'll discuss that more.

Cons

Utter chaos. This has become the titanic and all they are doing is picking the music the quartet plays on the deck while people search for lifeboats (new jobs). EVERY DAY there is a new metric, or duty, or approach to get people to enroll, and do whatever they can to make students stick around and keep paying for school. This school is no longer the best online school option, and they were never the cheapest. The classes can be moved around at will and the lack of conformity between instructors creates a diminished development experience.

And now I have to explain to prospective students how "we are accredited, but we have been put on notice wit the Higher Learning Commission" which means in the future your diploma may be toilet paper. Does Michigan, or ASU, or Duke, or Rutgers have to worry about accreditation? Hell no!

The new Get to Work or whatever the stupid catch phrase is rests on new career resources at the main website and student website. This was rolled out too quickly and is not substantial or working smoothly. Anything they claim to provide is done better in a dozen different places online. I did a search recently for jobs in logistics in the new career services area, and ALL it came up with were driving jobs for Tutor Time daycare!!

And now they want you to pursue "stackable" certificates so you can progress your career while you go through school, aka now they want you to take ALL the classes they offer from Associates up to Masters or Doctorate and spend well over 100k.

Their is little chance for career advancement. And the pay is 20-30% less than what competitors pay for the same role. As with any big company you have to kiss some serious a$$ to move up or around, but mostly you only make lateral moves and sometimes you have to go back to the bottom of the pay range for a new area.

I feel like I could burn in hell for enrolling some people I know have no shot of getting through the programs. The open door enrollment policy means anyone can get in and as long as the financial aid keeps coming in to the university they will make sure they stay in school. I just completed my MBA with other students who couldn't write complete sentences or formulate arguments or even speak in front of others. Yet their diploma says MBA just like mine.

And good luck getting a new job with any degree here. You may be able to move up if your company really value your skills, but HR managers drop resumes with university of phoenix on it into the 'circular file'.

Unless you cannot find any other job (but you should be able to since all of the competitors are still hiring) ONLY, and I mean ONLY work here if you have an exit strategy!!!!!!

This company is going down the crapper - don't have its name on your resume!!

doesn't matter, this company will downsize another 5000 people eventually and become part of the pack of for profit higher ed.

2. Ppar

Current Employee - Online Faculty in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Online Faculty in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Training and upgrading faculty skills; commitment to student success; the latest in online technology; excellent faculty and student resources; salary based on years of service, good standing and educational level, and frequent faculty assessment for self-improvement.

Cons

Learning platform has frequent changes and courses are revised. This causes course preparation to be outdated quickly while faculty is scrambling to meet new course requirements; sometimes technological issues are not totally worked out before going "live." It can be difficult to determine who one's immediate supervisor is, there are so many staff members reviewing you. Information is often rapid fire, and it is easy to miss important news or details.

I understand management cannot share all information with employees, but it is often difficult to determine criteria for hiring or advancement, both of which seem to occur in-house rather than through interview. Many of the faculty feel loyalty is one-sided.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix