Great experience and wonderful culture.

Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor  in  Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Great employees.

Cons

It is what you make it, your experience is up to you.

None

Other Reviews for University of Phoenix

Was once a great job, lost some of its luster

Former Employee - Academic Counselor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Academic Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great co-workers, pretty easy to hit numbers and get nice raises, consistent hours, fun activities

Cons

Too much regulation and shifting focus on some questionable enrollment practices. Even when the matrix went away, they still found ways to incorporate numbers and many counselors were frustrated with the inappropriate people who we signed up to go to school - some who would ask us, "how do I open a document in Windows?" Also, no room for advancement in the most recent years. UoP will get you stuck.

Stop the spin machine. Control the message - be proactive but honest. Also, cut out the layers of associate directors, regional directors/VPs, etc. Don't cut the front line staff that actually focus on the student and help keep them motivated and going to class.

Mixed Emotions

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at University of Phoenix as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

The University of Phoenix hires good people. The staff have been supportive, kind, and constant. I feel that I have learned through some of the training. The benefits of being a teacher are phenomenal in regards to education software, being part of a corporate discount program, and networking. The company does pay a lot for scholarship contributions. Their writing program has improved immensely. I am glad I have had the experience of working for them.

Cons

The company expects a lot of work from its teachers in training, scholarship, and staying connected to its overall community--especially in return for the adjunct pay. Its pay increments are very, very small and there is a cap at teaching after ten years. I recently worked for a University that has far less market share that paid me substantially more for one class (about 30% more).

When I say that the writing program has improved immensely, I mean that I have had to work through a lot of challenges and restrictions in the curriculum. I have worked for the company for a long time. They recently hired 315 full-time writing teachers and in some cases hired teachers who worked for other organizations over those who had worked for the University. This may be due to restrictions to the accreditations, but this was not communicated to the faculty and left a low morale with some of those who were not considered--as the University communicated in its forums they were hiring the best of the best.

Keep going in some of the directions you have taken. I think the new online classroom and the magazine are phenomenal. You generally hire good customer service people. There is a lot of e-mail communication saying how wonderful faculty are and yet your pay and compensation do not reflect it.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix.

Worked for University of Phoenix? Contribute to the Community!