There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix

Disorganized, poor management of faculty

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Detroit, MI
Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Detroit, MI

I worked at University of Phoenix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the few places where you can teach with a Masters Degree, rather than a Doctorate Degree. Teaching can be rewarding when students put forth the effort. Faculty have some flexibility in scheduling classes, although often requests to teach were very last minute.

Cons

My local area campus (Detroit) was very disorganized. Students were unprepared for college, expected to get their degree too easily, and did not read/study for class. Faculty were expected to clock in and out - I have never been asked to do that before!

Other Employee Reviews for University of Phoenix

1. Good company until I got laid off.

Current Employee - Academic Counselor
    Current Employee - Academic Counselor

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work hours, benefits, pay, a free degree. My co-workers were the best and helping people get their education was great as we'll.

Cons

With all the lay offs , morale went down hill. My entire department was downsized so I had to leave. The company needs to do some major improvements or it may not be around much longer.

Advice to Management

Make education more affordable and have some kind of screening process for students. Too many students can not get past the first year and fail out. It is sad but you are not doing anyone any good by not preparing your students. Focus on a quality student and not the quantity.

2. A good place for a first career or stepping stone to something better.

Former Employee - Leadership
    Former Employee - Leadership

I worked at University of Phoenix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People work there because they believe in the value of education. The company tries to do the right thing for its students. It's always creating new technology and improved methods.

Cons

Extremely high turnover and reduction in forces since 2010. Due to so many rounds of layoffs, the culture has suffered. There are often so many layers of communication that messages are not cascaded properly. Additionally, large initiatives are not properly followed through with to see results. There is little to no opportunity for promotion or career progression.