A great company for educational benefits, but enrollment focus is geared toward anyone that can breathe.

Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst  in  Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I originally liked feeling as though my role made a difference, as working in Tech Support was a great way to interface with students and provide them with the support they needed to get through school. The education benefits are great. The compensation has been good throughout my roles. I like the idea of the company values that are in place. I feel like all of my leaders actually cared about my well being and displayed that by helping me get time off when needed. I feel like the work-life balance, when in an hourly position, is decent.

Cons

I am diametrically opposed to the education model that UOP employs as a for-profit institution. Having talked to and listened to thousands of students over the years in my roles, I feel like a MAJORITY of them are being taken advantage of so that UOP can make money. They enroll people for online programs that have barely used a computer and the 'introductory workshop' is a poorly structured and doesn't help to really weed out people that shouldn't be in an online university. As such, it's not uncommon for students to get 2 -3 blocks in, withdrawing large student loan amounts, and then dropping out because they just can't handle the work. UOP doesn't require an ACT or SAT type standardized entry exam, and as such, anyone that breathes and can get student loans is a target, which contributes to my negative feelings about the organization.

Beyond all of that, I feel like the work life balance in an exempt (salary) position is less desirable than hourly. There are no profit sharing or bonus incentives to make you feel better about working 45+ hours a week, and as such, there are months where I make less hourly than I did in my last role. The workload in my department has been a mess for months, and director level management seems to simply looks at the numbers to say we don't need to back-fill the two team members that left last year, while everyone on the team is constantly asking when the workload will calm down due to a poor work-life balance.

The role itself used to feel like it mattered in the grand scheme of the student experience, but with feedback from floor agents advising that they never have a chance to review their quality scores, and that their managers barely coach them or help them out, it makes me feel like my role has virtually no impact on how agents can improve their performance.

Try to connect with people in the workforce as individuals rather than as a liability in your budget. Stop optimizing workload values on a spreadsheet and realize that people need a good work-life balance to continue to want to work for you. Try doing an 'undercover' internship with agents to see what they actually deal with from day to day. Oh, and team lunches; spring for a few of those. You'd be surprised how hard people work when you take care of them.

Other Reviews for University of Phoenix

Okay

I have been working at University of Phoenix

Pros

The other staff was nice

Cons

The company lays off people with no notice

Continuing to Shrink

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at University of Phoenix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture values education. Therefore, you are supported to learn new skills wherever and however you can.

Cons

Formal and rigid, hierarchical structure; Struggling for last 5 years with no end in sight.

Reform the product, academically. Probably longer classes. 5 weeks is too short. The University's prestige and attractiveness will not be enhanced --and enrollment will not turn around-- until you address quality directly.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix.

Worked for University of Phoenix? Contribute to the Community!