University of Phoenix

www.phoenix.edu
  www.phoenix.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix

Great benefits, professional management, wonderful benefits. Salary (not hourly)+overtime pay.

Former Employee - Student Services Coordinator in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Student Services Coordinator in San Jose, CA

I worked at University of Phoenix

Pros

Raises are annual base on percentage 1% to 5% based on performance. No need to clock-in/out. Managers don't make you feel guilty for calling in sick, 5 weeks on vacation annually...WOW! Trusting non-micromanagers. Therefore, I never feel like I'm walking on eggshells. Observes 10 paid holidays.Fair treatment of employees in the Student Services department. Great benefits. Flexible scheduling. Not a whole lot of politics in this dept. Stability in Student Services dept. Professional and helpful team of coworkers and managers. We are treated with respect.

Cons

They want the best employees for LOW pay. Expect priceless benefits like positive culture but don't expect competitive pay. UOP pays employees below market salary rate. Growth in the Bay Area is so competitive that you will likely have to relocate in order to grow. Student Services Coordinator position is under a glass ceiling which hinders promotional growth. That is, unless you have a close relationship with hiring manager. "kissing butt" is required to move up in the company.

Create a career plan for employees so they are allowed to grow. Coach them. Increase compensation at $40K starting since Apollo Group starts receptionists at $40K minimum.

709 Other Employee Reviews for University of Phoenix (View Most Recent)

Job not a career

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at University of Phoenix

Pros

Great job if your looking for "free" education. Remember to consider the other areas you are missing out on by receiving free tuition. I would say the salary is competitve and overall it is an ok place to work.

Cons

Company has become very bureaucratic and there is limited opportunity in actually climbing the corporate ladder here unless you are in the "in crowd" with upper management. The company ethics really push the boundaries with industry standards which can be hard at times to accept if you have morals. It can be a good move to work for this company however, proceed with caution.

Some of the upper management seem very incompetent. Some management perform meetings in a very unprofessional manner. There is a high turnover rate of the lower level managers as well which is unstable for the employees.

Asked to be a sales person and not a counselor

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at University of Phoenix

Pros

Best reason to work for University of Phoenix- Education Benefits for self and family.
    Very good health care package- not the best I have ever had, but good enough in comparison to other packages offered by competitors.

Cons

The biggest downside to working at University of Phoenix is the Big Brother aspect. They track everything, every bathroom break, time you clock in, number of times you call a particular student, what was said on the phone to students, ect. Everything was monitored and they did not approve of individual thought and creativity because they are formula driven. All conversations should lead to a closing of potential students Not a Positive working environment, lots of negative energy in a place that is supposed to inspire others to new heights.

My advice to management is to interact with the employees, not management. And to remember that for every item you use to determine pay increases and transferability/promotions has consequences for students and employees. Spending too much time tracking everything does not lead to better customer service or happy positive employees that stay. I highly recommend you put a stop to Managers saying, "I will just fire you, or you can quit, there are 10 other people waiting outside for your job."

There are newer employer reviews for University of Phoenix