There are newer employer reviews for University of Pittsburgh

Horrible

Former Employee - Security Technician in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Security Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at University of Pittsburgh full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There really were none working here

Cons

The management was terrible. Management very corrupt.

Advice to Management

Horrible decisions, bad management, most corrupt department in the University.

reviews filtered by
  1. Benefit:Salary ratio heavily skewed to pay you as little as possible but keep you there

Current Employee - Research Assistant III in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant III in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are beyond are by all means the best part of working at Pitt. Amazing medical insurance is relatively cheap and the educational benefits are astounding.

Cons

Unfortunately such great benefits come at the cost of a decent salary. And career progression is very unlikely unless you are willing to move departments which can be difficult. In addition, if there are benefits that you do not take advantage of you are unable to opt out of them to increase your salary.

2. Lots of opportunities, but poor pay and a swift boot at the first sign of conflict.

Current Employee - Research Specialist III in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Research Specialist III in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at University of Pittsburgh full-time (more than a year)

Pros

While at the University of Pittsburgh I gained valuable experience and became a published author. I learned scientific techniques and numerous skills, gained insight into regulatory laws and protocols and greatly expanded my resume.

Cons

Despite having extremely favorable reviews, I earned very little money and was constantly having to borrow from my parents to make ends meet. Administrative staff informed me that the University is being extremely tight with salaries with regards to research staff. Culture at Pitt looks down upon anyone without a PhD, and I was verbally abused by graduate students.

Advice to Management

Management needs to pay fair wages and stop the elitist culture that dominates the University.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Pittsburgh