Oh, Academia!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at University of San Diego full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits here are decent, especially the 401(b) plan. The employee pays a portion of the health insurance, depending on salary. There is a small life insurance policy on each employee and a long term disability insurance plan (pays very little though). The employee can purchase dental and vision insurance. Some of the people at this Catholic university are caring, decent people. The President seems to be one of them, even though she laid off dozens when she first started. There is tuition remission.

Cons

The directors, supervisors, and managers for the most part are hired because of the colleges they attended. The others are hired because they know someone. Unfortunately, they don't know how to manage their way out of a wet paper bag. Solely interested in their own paychecks and not whether their staff are happy. I had one supervisor who came to work for about 3 hours a day. (Used to sneak in.) Collected a very big paycheck, but his staff did all the work. The number of lies I have heard over the years I have worked here would make Pinocchio's nose grow from here to Hong Kong. The pay is not good for staff employees. When the cost of living goes up, don't expect a raise. I have heard racist comments from an employee which resulted in the employee being turned in to HR. However, even though the comments continued, HR did nothing about it. Yet, they say they have zero tolerance for racism.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring supervisors based on their alma mater and who their previous employers were, and more on whether they are managerial material. When people leave and consistently say bad things about the same supervisors in exit interviews, fire them. Just don't renew their contracts. Stop worrying about being sued and start considering how many horrible supervisors you have. Shall I name names?

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

CASA Site Coordinator

Former Employee - Site Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Site Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I worked at University of San Diego part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great job with tremendous potential. Everyone in the office are wonderful people who are not only determined to help you in the field but also help you succeed as an individual.

Cons

None. Absolutely none. It was a great opportunity.

Advice to Management

To continue to do the great work that you all are doing. Each day at that office I feel as though I am challenged and able to pursue my own projects with ease knowing that my superiors will back me if I ever need advice.

2. Casual Worker

Current Employee - Casual Worker in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Casual Worker in San Diego, CA

I have been working at University of San Diego part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, easy for students to work

Cons

Keep it up! Nothing to complain about

Advice to Management

n/a