University of Sheffield

www.shef.ac.uk
  www.shef.ac.uk
There are newer employer reviews for University of Sheffield

Best place to work

Current Employee - Post-Doctoral Research Associate in Sheffield, England (UK)
Current Employee - Post-Doctoral Research Associate in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Sheffield full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary, Good work life balance, Staff and management are really cooperative.

Cons

Estates are a bit slow in refurbishment. Sheffield is definitely not the first choice for most people to live in, although the outskirts are amazing

37 Other Employee Reviews for University of Sheffield (View Most Recent)

Highly flexible, solid pay and enjoyable work

Former Employee - (Part Time) Systems Administrator in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - (Part Time) Systems Administrator in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at University of Sheffield

Pros

My work with one of the departments at the University of Sheffield was as a part-time systems administrator. The work was fairly straightforward but I was able to offer additional skills to the department that then allowed me to command more hours from them. The payment for working with the department was solid, it was pretty clear during my time with them what it was they wanted from me and weekly meetings between the staff and management ensured that everyone was reading from the same page.

Cons

Due to the nature of the job (part-time, one academic year of employment only) there wasn't a huge amount of scope for progression within the department or indeed within the University as a whole.

It wasn't until I started working for the University (as well as studying there) that I realised how poor inter-departmental communication and cooperation is. Senior management at the University would do well to encourage and foster better relationships between these units.

Great place to meet smart people who are motivated and passionate in engineering

Current Employee - Research Associate in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Sheffield

Pros

-You meet lots of people who do great work and is also passionate about what they do (including the crazed and devoted academics).
    -The pay is quite high in comparison with the cost of living of the city and with the other universities around the country.
    -Very good work life balance

Cons

-As most research associates need to progress out of contracts, the only option of progression is to be a lecturer. The promotion to be a lecturer is really a hit and miss affair nowadays. It is necessary to work hard but not sufficient. You have to draw in grants and that is dependent on the flavour of your research topic and whether it aligns with the current trend. This may sound like the anti-thesis of academia, but it is true now that research is becoming less of an intellectual pursuit and more to advancing one's career.
    -As with many other places of work, networking is very important. If you don't network as a researcher, you are bound to be stuck in a stagnant position regardless of how clever or hardworking you are.

Come up with a better metric of performance and guidance for researchers. The SRDS seems somewhat inappropriate appraisal method for a research environment.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Sheffield