There are newer employer reviews for University of Sheffield

The best working experience of my career to date.

Former Employee - Planning Support Officer in Sheffield, England (UK)
Former Employee - Planning Support Officer in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at University of Sheffield full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly and supportive yet professional environment in a fantastic city.

Cons

There were no cons in my mind.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Sheffield

1. Best place to work

Current Employee - Post-Doctoral Research Associate in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Post-Doctoral Research Associate in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Sheffield full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary, Good work life balance, Staff and management are really cooperative.

Cons

Estates are a bit slow in refurbishment. Sheffield is definitely not the first choice for most people to live in, although the outskirts are amazing

2. Highly flexible, solid pay and enjoyable work

Former Employee - (Part Time) Systems Administrator in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - (Part Time) Systems Administrator in Sheffield, England (UK)

Pros

My work with one of the departments at the University of Sheffield was as a part-time systems administrator. The work was fairly straightforward but I was able to offer additional skills to the department that then allowed me to command more hours from them. The payment for working with the department was solid, it was pretty clear during my time with them what it was they wanted from me and weekly meetings between the staff and management ensured that everyone was reading from the same page.

Cons

Due to the nature of the job (part-time, one academic year of employment only) there wasn't a huge amount of scope for progression within the department or indeed within the University as a whole.

Advice to Management

It wasn't until I started working for the University (as well as studying there) that I realised how poor inter-departmental communication and cooperation is. Senior management at the University would do well to encourage and foster better relationships between these units.