University of Sheffield
www.shef.ac.uk Sheffield, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Highly flexible, solid pay and enjoyable work

(Part Time) Systems Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Sheffield

ProsMy work with one of the departments at the University of Sheffield was as a part-time systems administrator. The work was fairly straightforward but I was able to offer additional skills to the department that then allowed me to command more hours from them. The payment for working with the department was solid, it was pretty clear during my time with them what it was they wanted from me and weekly meetings between the staff and management ensured that everyone was reading from the same page.

ConsDue to the nature of the job (part-time, one academic year of employment only) there wasn't a huge amount of scope for progression within the department or indeed within the University as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt wasn't until I started working for the University (as well as studying there) that I realised how poor inter-departmental communication and cooperation is. Senior management at the University would do well to encourage and foster better relationships between these units.

Great place to meet smart people who are motivated and passionate in engineering

Research Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Sheffield

Pros: -You meet lots of people who do great work and is also passionate about what they do (including the crazed and devoted academics). -The pay… Cons: -As most research associates need to progress out of contracts, the only option of progression is to be a lecturer. The promotion to be a… Advice to Senior Management: Come up with a better metric of performance and guidance for researchers.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Nice place to work, Nice place to Live around, good for peaceful life

Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Sheffield

Pros: Job security, manageable stress level, benefits for employees Cons: Less pay than industry. Recent system implementation is terrible. Advice to Senior Management: In last 3 years lot of money has been spent on 100th birthday and rebranding (in form of changing logo and other things). Was it… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on University of Sheffield.

Worked for University of Sheffield? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Sheffield reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Sheffield CEO Sir Peter Middleton. All reviews posted anonymously by University of Sheffield employees.