There are newer employer reviews for University of Southampton

Convinced me to leave Southampton

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Southampton, England (UK)
Current Employee - Research Associate in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at University of Southampton as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good engineering facilities when they work. Nice central campus with pretty gardens. Generous vacation allowance. Bus station on campus allowing for easy transportation links to city centre, airport, and London.

Cons

Administration does not take ownership of administrative tasks. Line managers are not suitably trained. Work/life balance is poor and is not taken into consideration by management. For early career researchers there is very little chance for future progression.

Focus less on strategy and pay more attention to making staff happier.

20 Other Employee Reviews for University of Southampton (View Most Recent)

Being a researcher at the ORC-UoS

Current Employee - Research Fellow  in  Southampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Fellow in Southampton, England (UK)

Pros

In some departments the research environment is very vital and full of ideas. Most of the research/support staff are nice people. Availability of research equipment is impressive.

Cons

The University has dramatically reduced the support staff so sometimes it takes long time to have things done due to overload on the remaining ones.

The University should invest more for keeping their good researchers with longer time perspectives for them.

Should invest in more long term (5 years minimum) employment for research staff to allow them plan and develop their research agenda.

I receive respect for my performance and I am being treated fair.

Current Employee - PhD Student
    Current Employee - PhD Student

I have been working at University of Southampton

Pros

The career development opportunities are really good and every line manager is trained to support your personal development. Also, the campus is really nice and multicultural..

Cons

Southampton itself is not so great as a city, but the Univesity offers many chances to meet other like-minded people and organises events to meet them. i.e. there is a a theatre and music hall on campus. not to mention the sports facilities.

Please update the website and make it easier to navigate. It has grown so big and some services are not connected to each other. Sometimes one finds a site from before the last update.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Southampton

Worked for University of Southampton? Contribute to the Community!