Amazing Benefits and Supportive Environment

Current Employee - Project Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Project Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at University of Southern California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits include tuition remission and doubling of 403(b) contributions (i.e. you contribute 5% and they contribute 10%).

Cons

It is a big environment with lots of bureaucracy, but if you are in the right department, you can navigate that environment easily.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Get paid well, don't expect real work if you're a student worker

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at University of Southern California part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got paid $10/hour to make copies and sit in class, but this was my experience with one particular professor. Your mileage may vary.

Cons

Didn't get to do any teaching assistant responsibilities because the professor wanted to do everything himself. He was disorganized and would blame me for his mistakes. I did not reapply to be his TA again, and it is my understanding that he gets a new TA every semester.

Advice to Management

Let student workers do their jobs, and learn to delegate better.

Not so great and not awful! It's just not bad.

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at University of Southern California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can find smart people in the campus to work with. If anyone likes to live in a warm climate by all menas, USC is a good place.

Cons

The bureaucracy at USC is just horrible. I used to work in east-coast then I moved to USC to do my post-doc. The difference was day and night. It looked like working in eastern Europe or Cuba. For instance, it required a lot of time and paperwork to order one piece of equipment for my lab. Then I realized that it is better that I drive myself, get the equipment and get reimbursed. The system was inefficient with an extreme profit based mentality. In summary, USC is not a great place.
    And also, the location of campus is awful It did not look like a university, there was not ANY bookstore around campus!!! there was not any cozy coffee shop around campus. Just shopping malls, food courts etc. I did not have a pleasant experience and happy I am out of there.