University of Tasmania

www.utas.edu.au
  www.utas.edu.au
There are newer employer reviews for University of Tasmania

Friendly working environment that appreciates unique thinking and individual attributes

Current Employee - Tutor in Hobart (Australia)
Current Employee - Tutor in Hobart (Australia)

I have been working at University of Tasmania as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great feel of belonging and working as a unit toward similar goals. A very intellectually satisfying work ethic, which also fulfils my desire to find challenge and solve problems in my work. The times are not too strict either, which is simply due to the expectation that you work proactively and independently to complete the tasks at hand.

Cons

At times the working environment can be tense and terse, where people can sometimes seem rude or uncaring. However, this is just a sense of the speed and intensity by which we are expected to work with, and so if you are not someone who likes to work under pressure then perhaps you need to reconsider employment here.

Sometimes personal relations and working 'politics' get in the way of actually improving working conditions, but more importantly the forward progress of our services to students (our clients). As an education providers, our primary goals should be student learning, teaching techniques and of course research excellence. However, so far I have experienced and heard of politics at the level that may even rival governmental discussions, where often it is not about ability or credential, but more who you know and how you know them. Maybe this is something that can be worked on in the future.

5 Other Employee Reviews for University of Tasmania (View Most Recent)

The University of Tasmania is an up-and-coming state university directing its goals to bigger pastures.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Hobart (Australia)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Hobart (Australia)

I have been working at University of Tasmania full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at the University of Tasmania is what you make of it -- there are many opportunities to be had, if you create them.

Cons

This is a small, state university, so though it would like to compete on the international level, in many ways it lacks the resources.

No opportunities for postgrads

Former Employee - Tutor in Hobart (Australia)
    Former Employee - Tutor in Hobart (Australia)

I worked at University of Tasmania part-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a foreign, my stint as a tutor gave me an insight on how the teaching system works in Australia. It is good for my CV that I have some teaching experience other than the country I live in. But all this apart, the best thing about this job was living in Hobart. It is the most beautiful city to live in. If I ever have an opportunity to work with UTAS again, I will happily take it up just because I will get to live in Tassie again.

Cons

Very few opportunities available to "outsiders". You need to constantly haggle even for 1 hour job a week. The system on which payment for marking essays is based is flawed and compensation for the same is too low, considering the amount of work needed. No job security, at least for casual work. No rewards (as if future work opps) or even appreciation of the work done.

Clarity while appointing casual tutors, especially if they are postgrads. The sole decision is taken by the unit co-ordinator who chooses according to his/her preference, slighting others who are not in favour.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Tasmania