There are newer employer reviews for University of Texas at Arlington

Contract great, UTA management lackluster.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Austin, TX
Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Arlington as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The contract company I work for is friendly and supportive. The daily work I complete is challenging and interesting. The benefits are ample and continued education is supported.

Cons

The management is incredibly slack. Human resource services are slow and unresponsive. I received a copy of my offer letter one week after signing on and while my benefits had to be enrolled in within a one month period no one provided any paperwork on it. There has been a complete lack of assistance for all new hires based on what I have seen and experienced.

Advice to Management

Start advocating for your employees.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Texas at Arlington

1. Very nice people/staff and professors, but lack of quality in student intake and maybe as a result, the coursework.

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Arlington, TX

I worked at University of Texas at Arlington part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very friendly professors and staff. Willingness to help you out at any cost. Great department chairperson. Easy coursework. Easy 4.0

Cons

Quality and rank is low. Simply being nice doesn't help the students in the real sense. UTA are finding themselves slip down the ranks and one must seriously weight options before they take UTA.

Advice to Management

Try to hire more quality, young, tenure-track faculty. Increase the standards of intake.

2. A university trying to grow but suffers from small thinking

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Arlington, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Arlington full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a massive groundswell to improve this university. The Tier 1 initiative has prompted the university to recruit investment in itself and in the surrounding city. Much of the new growth near downtown Arlington is entirely due to the university and its influence. This school is a unknown gem. You can get a good education here.

Cons

This school still suffers from its commuter status. Effectively, much of the administration is either thinking like this is a teaching (non research) school, or *overreacting* to situations that impact the status of the school The commuter element to the population will never change, because the school is located in the suburbs between to cities, Dallas and Fort Worth. Because most of the undergraduates are local, what you see here is the best and brightest of D/FW who cannot get into top 10% schools or don't want to leave home yet. They are good students: 80% of them work, about the same commute. They are good because the local D/FW population is more than some states, like West Virginia! Now the graduates, in my experience, are not as good as the undergraduates. Completely lower caliber. There tend to be more foreign students in the graduate program than in ones at top tier schools. If you are counting on graduate students to speak English (e.g, carry on a conversation), no less write a paper or even their own theses/dissertations, you will be disappointed. I get the feeling UTA has a reputation as an easy graduate degree in certain countries, especially India. Beware working with graduates.

Advice to Management

Embrace your commuter status. It will never disappear. Arlington will never be a town that attracts young people, like Austin, or L.A., etc. Build school spirit, not just more buildings. Have you noticed there are no postcards in bookstore saying, Hello from UT Arlington! If there were, what picture would they put on it? The ERB? The UC? Continue to hire new professors that would otherwise go to top tier schools. Try to lure a lab head with a big program to your school from another one.