There are newer employer reviews for University of Texas at Austin

Lots of work; lots of learning.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The other graduate students in my field (mechanical engineering) are among the brightest around.
-Somewhat flexible hours...it is a research appointment, after all.
-Getting paid to get a degree is a pretty sweet deal, even if you're not actually putting much in the bank.

Cons

-Pay is minimal...this is hard to complain about, though, given that I will come out with a Masters. However, even a 2-3 thousand dollar bump would mean a lot at this pay level.
-You work a lot--seriously. Three courses with homework plus seemingly endless hours in the laboratory means that you don't have as much personal time as you would in a typical 9 to 5 appointment. That is entirely dependent on which laboratory you choose to work in, obviously, so your mileage may vary.

reviews filtered by
  1. Excellent opportunities for grad students to work for academic journals, plan academic conferences, and teach

Current Employee - Grad Student, Instructor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Grad Student, Instructor in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Austin's thriving arts and culinary scenes; resources of a research university; caring and devoted mentorship; freedom to pursue research interests; student comradery; great insurance benefits

Cons

Low pay; increasing cost of living; some disengaged professors; lack of transparency

2. RA

I worked at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

good position as a research assistant

Cons

I do not see any cons