I love my school

Current Employee - Student  in  Austin, TX
Current Employee - Student in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

GREAT opportunities for networking your way to the top
LOTS of FREE food on campus
Truly engaged professors who actually care whether you learn or not

Cons

Expensive - BUT good value so it's worth it!

Other Reviews for University of Texas at Austin

Still a great place to work - but a lot of turmoil

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant III  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant III in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, though they seem slightly reduced every year. The fringe benefits, access to classes, employee discounts etc., make it worth the trouble.

Cons

Just as in private sector, there have been lay-offs, re-orgs, RIF's etc. These things aren't always communicated well. There's a constant cycle of "let's decentralize to save money" followed by, "let's centralize everything to save money." That gets old pretty quickly but the U never seems to learn what works.

Communicate honestly, clearly and early. It seems like it should be obvious, unfortunately it's not.

Satisfied

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

- You are able to work with some of the best minds in your field.
    - In terms of assets, UT has pretty much every major piece of scientific instrumentation one could ask for.

Cons

- Sometimes it takes a while to get things done, especially when you have to rely on other departments to get something done. For example, I needed access to a particular lab, but my keycard wouldn't work. So, the manager told me to go to card services, where they told me to go talk to the building manager. The building manager, then referred me back to either card services or the lab manager to get this sorted out. In the end, the problem seemed to fix itself, but took about 2 months and was frustrating because I could not access this lab without a coworker.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Texas at Austin.

Worked for University of Texas at Austin? Contribute to the Community!