UT Austin mid-management review

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

There are many intangible benefits that come along with employment at a large university. The affiliation alone is a big perk. There is a sense of pride that comes from working for an organization that so many wish to be part of.

Cons

The pay is considerably less than the going market rate in some professions on campus. In addition, the budget cuts leave a grim outlook for future compensation.

Advice to Management

More attention to equity and fairness in hiring and compensation practices for professional and staff positions.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Graduate Student Life

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant/Graduate Student in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant/Graduate Student in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

Austin is a wonderful town, the department I work in is relatively drama-free. I have only had to go without funding for one summer in my 3 years here.

Cons

My adviser is not very good at advising graduate students, and I feel that the department administration doesn't know or doesn't care. I also got conned into an unfortunate situation regarding my status as a masters vs phd student. I don't know if this came from my adviser or the department. Either way, I'm feeling pretty screwed. Also, I failed to receive a teaching position this most recent summer session.

Advice to Management

Better communication from the department to graduate students regarding appropriate progress would be helpful. Also, annual meetings with someone who was not my adviser would likely have resolved my situation more satisfactorallyt and/or sooner.

2. Laid back place to work with mostly great people

Current Employee - Software Developer/Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer/Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at University of Texas at Austin

Pros

I enjoy working at UT, and have wonderful things to say about the developer community around campus. The environment is pretty laid back, and the benefits are pretty nice. Until recently, there was a training program for developers which provided a great way to break into the programming industry. It is currently dormant, but is expected to start again soon.

Cons

The recent effects of the recession have pretty much ensured that our already lackluster salaries won't be improving any time soon. Pay is not at all competitive with the private sector, and probably never will be. In addition to the local politics of the university, working there also means dealing with the results of state and national politics, which can often be a pain.

Advice to Management

Please consider the importance of a happy staff while making decisions. As long as you continue to pay developers considerably less than they can make elsewhere, you will continue to experience attrition, and these losses are almost guaranteed to be the most talented among us.