University of Toronto

www.utoronto.ca

Amazing opportunities to shape your career

Current Employee - PhD Candidate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

This university has the resources to allow you to train for just about any career. The computer science department and math departments in particular are distinguished in North America. The Molecular Genetics department is also very strong, with ties to many of the hospitals in the UHN.

Cons

I wish the Computer Science department made more of an effort to engage with the burgeoning startup community in Toronto. There are a lot of strong students here, I'm surprised that the department has not taken the initiative to forge links with local companies for internships.

Other reviews for University of Toronto

Working as a Sessional lecturer at UofT

Current Employee - Seasonal Instructor  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Instructor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

It is an okay job for when you first finish your phd and have a post-doc. You make approximately $7500 per course taught. I think it's above average compared to colleges. It's also unionized so there's an avenue to resolve grievances. You also get some small benefits through the union for health expenses (about $500).

Cons

It's not really a job you want for a long time. It's easy to get stuck in it. Not a living wage. You can't apply for research grants from tricouncil. I'm only able survive because I also have a CIHR post-doc. In hindsight, it may have been better to not teach and focus on my post-doc and get those publications out so I can get a real tenure-track job.

My students are pretty self-entitled. One student consistently does not show up to class, and when he did badly on an assignment, he went to complain to the chair that my assignment was too difficult. The chair then asked me to conduct 2 student evaluations to make sure the students were okay with the course. Most students like the course, but it was a very stressful experience for me.

Professional development opportunities would be great for sessionals. This might be too much burden for profs, but if there was more opportunities to collaborate with them that would be great. Would be great if sessionals can get promoted into teaching stream permanent jobs.

Neutral opinion

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Ok place to work with mostly good colleagues.

Cons

There are lots of administrative hiccups.

None

There are newer employer reviews for University of Toronto.

Worked for University of Toronto? Contribute to the Community!