University of Toronto

www.utoronto.ca
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for University of Toronto

Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Research Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at University of Toronto part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, flexible work hours, results are much appreciated

Cons

hourly rate for an RA is rather low

354 Other Employee Reviews for University of Toronto (View Most Recent)

It was a good first job, with pretty low pay, but it was a no-experience-necessary student job. It was also my first job

Former Employee - Proctor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Proctor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at University of Toronto part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay is OK for the job that I did. Supervisor is friendly and understanding. Flexible part-time schedule.

Cons

There was room to slack and the slackers usually got away with it. The pay tends to be on the low to average side when it comes to low level jobs. I also feel like they overpay the upper-level jobs.

Working as a Sessional lecturer at UofT

Current Employee - Seasonal Instructor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Instructor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at University of Toronto part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is an okay job for when you first finish your phd and have a post-doc. You make approximately $7500 per course taught. I think it's above average compared to colleges. It's also unionized so there's an avenue to resolve grievances. You also get some small benefits through the union for health expenses (about $500).

Cons

It's not really a job you want for a long time. It's easy to get stuck in it. Not a living wage. You can't apply for research grants from tricouncil. I'm only able survive because I also have a CIHR post-doc. In hindsight, it may have been better to not teach and focus on my post-doc and get those publications out so I can get a real tenure-track job.

My students are pretty self-entitled. One student consistently does not show up to class, and when he did badly on an assignment, he went to complain to the chair that my assignment was too difficult. The chair then asked me to conduct 2 student evaluations to make sure the students were okay with the course. Most students like the course, but it was a very stressful experience for me.

Professional development opportunities would be great for sessionals. This might be too much burden for profs, but if there was more opportunities to collaborate with them that would be great. Would be great if sessionals can get promoted into teaching stream permanent jobs.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Toronto