There are newer employer reviews for University of Utah

A good transition job from grad school, but not a place to stay forever

Current Employee - Assistant Coach in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Assistant Coach in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at University of Utah

Pros

Good work/life balance
Great outdoors
Flexible work schedule
Great benefits etc
Fun co-workers
PAC-12 affiliation makes it a growing institution

Cons

No feedback
No recognition for a job well done
Low salary
University-wide budget cuts
No real opportunities for advancement in department

Make sure, no matter what level of the org the person is in, that they receive feedback on their performance

249 Other Employee Reviews for University of Utah (View Most Recent)

It's been good so far

Current Employee - Molecular Biology Technician-Volunteer Position in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at University of Utah

Pros

It's a great place to work and we have very nice people here. It's been a very good experience so far. Currently I am on a part time volunteer position and hope to find a full time paid job as soon as possible.

Cons

I haven't encountered any so far (may be because I am not working full time here) and also do not go through the management or any sort of formalities/procedures which may give you a chance to gauge a place/organization.

An interesting experience; would not recommend

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at University of Utah

Pros

Situated in a well kept city in a beautiful natural setting. Slow pace. Very good for families. Cost of living smaller than in other parts of the country.

Cons

The people! Most of them are insecure and under trained and very willing to keep things the way they are. They can get defensive and resistant to any change even if that is in their own best interest. Lack of a real community. Very insular and provincial and with no intention to change that.

Not sure there is any solution. I think that most people in managerial positions got there because they are as the rest and they were trusted not to rock the boat. Very much of what is going on is a portrait of mediocrity as a way of being, thinking and acting. If that is fine with you, you may have a wonderful time and a very quiet and peaceful life. If not, look elsewhere.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Utah