Generally a good place to work with some health and security concerns

I worked at University of Victoria part-time for less than a year

Pros

Beautiful campus with some good perks (low cost public transit passes for some employees, free basic gym facilities, online and physical access to a fabulous library with thousands of academic journals). Fairly good wages and possibility of flex-time in some positions.

Cons

Some unions on campus have been without contract for some time and it is possible/likely there will be job action in September 2012. Layoffs may also be in the cards for the end of this year or the beginning of next. There is a wide pay disparity between management and other groups. Most disturbing however was the lack of repercussions among senior staff responsible for data security and confidentiality following the January 2012 theft of personal data (birthdates, banking info and the like) from a university building. Certain buildings on campus seem to be afflicted with 'sick building syndrome' and health of those who have worked in these buildings for a long time could be in jeopardy.

Address the glaring disparity between executive pay rates and that of lower echelon employees especially. Look at the practice of laying people off during the summer and consider what that does for morale. Discipline or perhaps even terminate (or roll back pay?) those who have ultimate responsibility for data security and confidentiality of employee data. Negotiate fair terms with those unions whose contracts have expired.

Other Reviews for University of Victoria

Great experience, I worked with understanding and under-demanding professors.

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant  in  Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at University of Victoria as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I love the flexibility of hours- obviously the professors understand that their TA's are also students with their own deadlines to meet, and the professors I worked for gave me really flexible deadlines to so that I could work on my own deadlines as well.

Cons

As flexible as the work is, it usually comes down to grading exams and papers- at the end of the semester. There is only so much work you can do ahead of time..

Adjusting graduate and undergraduate final deadlines so that they don't overlap quite as much.

Love it.

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at University of Victoria

Pros

Good Pay
    Great Environment
    Great Learning Opportunities
    Great opportunities for leadership

Cons

Often times there are sporadic Hours.
    There can be a bit of bureaucracy within the department.
    The demands on your time and commitment are always changing, as are your responsibilities, and sometimes you can be unsure of what to do next.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Victoria.

Worked for University of Victoria? Contribute to the Community!