There are newer employer reviews for University of Washington

good

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington

Pros

it's challenging and rewarding working in this environment

Cons

payment is not ideal compared to the high work volume

604 Other Employee Reviews for University of Washington (View Most Recent)

OK experience at UW

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington

Pros

The campus is beautiful and there are great public transportation options to get to work. People were friendly and accommodating with work/life balance.

Cons

With state budget cuts affecting resources and salaries, the atmosphere was at many times tense and stressful as we all worried about our jobs.

Stressing out about little details such as how much paper and ink people were using to help cut costs was frustrating. I would recommend focusing on the bigger picture of how to bring in more funding rather than cuts.

Unique opportunities & benefits none can beat & bright people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington

Pros

You get to work on research projects, things that no sensible profit-driven industries want to risk investing and investigating such as developing flight control software for newly designed autonomous underwater vehicles. You get to work with very liberal, open-minded and bright people. Benefits are unbeatable. Compensations are not too bad for academic entity, generally 10-15% lower than equivalent positions in the private sector; much higher than usual departmental units. Usually very flexible in schedule, vacation needs, etc.

Cons

Hardly anyone cares about QA. There's a saying "don't let PhDs code", and it's so true. You'll be forever "programmer" unless you can come up with a noble idea and fetch grants from federal agencies yourself. If you are like me who's passionate about engineering aspect of software development, you will find a dead end in career development. As for compensations, though I said it's generally only 10-15% less, the gap has grown wider since the state wide salary freeze since 2007.

N/A