University of Washington

Demoralizing.

Current Employee - Student Office Assistant in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Student Office Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington

Pros

Flexible hours for school
A decent amount of free catering food
Nice facility
Adequate air conditioning
Clean carpet
Good functioning microwave
Free coffee and tea
Easy, mindless work.

Cons

The program managers are unreasonable; have absolutely NO patience
The company is highly inefficient in the way they spend tax payers' money; for instance, I prepare used printing papers to be recycled as scratch paper at 1 ream/hr when 6 reams of paper costs $12. I am being paid $13/hr. Totally inefficient and demeaning.
Managers do not apologize for mistake after chewing you out.
Have absolutely no management experience. FYI: I am a management major at a premiere institution.
Manager is disrespectful, rude, and incompetent. I've had four other bosses in the past and they all love me (even this one) but I have never disliked someone as much as this one.
Manager totally micromanages and uses time inefficiently by lecturing employees for lengthy amount of time over miniscule issues.
Provides no training and refuses to explain task adequately. "How to book" is out of date and instructions are poorly written with overwhelming, unnecessary information.
Does not provide positive feedback ever.
Cramped cubicle (3 students in 1).
Does not take feedback well will get defensive. Classic case of poor managerial skills.
Lack technological skills and have me spending my time writing instructions for simple programs such as MS Word/Excel, Adobe Acrobat, etc. Will ask dumb questions such as "why do we have to do it that way?" Answer: I don't know maybe because this is not part of my job description?!

Hire new program manager. Manager is unqualified to be managing people and is costing the company and the community time and money.

647 Other Employee Reviews for University of Washington (View Most Recent)

Positive experience

Current Employee - Lecturer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington

Pros

UW offers good communication and support, from both management and from support staff. If full time, great benefits. Good location.

Cons

If not full time, not good benefits (if any). Can be a lot of work for not much pay for lecturers.

Increase compensation for part time lecturers to improve satisfaction and retention. Overall, a good experience, and a good line item on a resume.

Very dissatisfied with lack of science-based outcomes, and genuine lack of professionalism throughout this organization.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I worked at University of Washington

Pros

In theory, to support math and science within the K-12 arena.

Cons

Leadership lacked math and science background!

There are newer employer reviews for University of Washington