University of Washington

www.washington.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of Washington

Be prepared to be treated like garbage if you aren't a faculty member.

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington

Pros

Great benefits and a beautiful campus. The IMA is a nice benefit too.

Cons

Generally speaking, faculty and upper management treat "regular" staff like dirt. Very little opportunity for promotion or growth (especially if you are forced into a union). New ideas are not welcomed.

Faculty are not kings. They should not be able to treat staff any way they choose. I personally have been reprimanded for incidents that were in no way my fault, but an action (or inaction) on the part of faculty. If someone has to be blamed, it will never fall on faculty.

In addition, lazy or IT incompetent staff have little repercussions (union) and innovation is typically punished or ignored. Also, for a school that has multiple nationally recognized IT programs, the inner workings of UW's own internal data systems are a disaster. I personally had to set up multiple "shadow" systems because the data structure is both a mess and inaccessible due to elitist security precautions within the organization. There is little consistency among departments; they each have their own timesheets, their own systems, etc.

Lastly, I have not had a raise or promotion in years and never had a bonus or recognition of any kind despite self improvement of skills, being patient with faculty that treat me poorly, and working overtime without compensation (they will deny this) but this is the de facto reality.

679 Other Employee Reviews for University of Washington (View Most Recent)

Management not so good.

Former Employee - Barista in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Barista in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington

Pros

Laid back environment. People are friendly.

Cons

Upper management was not organized. Sometimes we had too many people working, sometimes we didn't have enough.

Demoralizing.

Current Employee - Student Office Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Student Office Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington

Pros

Flexible hours for school
    A decent amount of free catering food
    Nice facility
    Adequate air conditioning
    Clean carpet
    Good functioning microwave
    Free coffee and tea
    Easy, mindless work.

Cons

The program managers are unreasonable; have absolutely NO patience
    The company is highly inefficient in the way they spend tax payers' money; for instance, I prepare used printing papers to be recycled as scratch paper at 1 ream/hr when 6 reams of paper costs $12. I am being paid $13/hr. Totally inefficient and demeaning.
    Managers do not apologize for mistake after chewing you out.
    Have absolutely no management experience. FYI: I am a management major at a premiere institution.
    Manager is disrespectful, rude, and incompetent. I've had four other bosses in the past and they all love me (even this one) but I have never disliked someone as much as this one.
    Manager totally micromanages and uses time inefficiently by lecturing employees for lengthy amount of time over miniscule issues.
    Provides no training and refuses to explain task adequately. "How to book" is out of date and instructions are poorly written with overwhelming, unnecessary information.
    Does not provide positive feedback ever.
    Cramped cubicle (3 students in 1).
    Does not take feedback well will get defensive. Classic case of poor managerial skills.
    Lack technological skills and have me spending my time writing instructions for simple programs such as MS Word/Excel, Adobe Acrobat, etc. Will ask dumb questions such as "why do we have to do it that way?" Answer: I don't know maybe because this is not part of my job description?!

Hire new program manager. Manager is unqualified to be managing people and is costing the company and the community time and money.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Washington