University of Washington

www.washington.edu
  www.washington.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of Washington

Be prepared to be treated like garbage if you aren't a faculty member.

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington

Pros

Great benefits and a beautiful campus. The IMA is a nice benefit too.

Cons

Generally speaking, faculty and upper management treat "regular" staff like dirt. Very little opportunity for promotion or growth (especially if you are forced into a union). New ideas are not welcomed.

Faculty are not kings. They should not be able to treat staff any way they choose. I personally have been reprimanded for incidents that were in no way my fault, but an action (or inaction) on the part of faculty. If someone has to be blamed, it will never fall on faculty.

In addition, lazy or IT incompetent staff have little repercussions (union) and innovation is typically punished or ignored. Also, for a school that has multiple nationally recognized IT programs, the inner workings of UW's own internal data systems are a disaster. I personally had to set up multiple "shadow" systems because the data structure is both a mess and inaccessible due to elitist security precautions within the organization. There is little consistency among departments; they each have their own timesheets, their own systems, etc.

Lastly, I have not had a raise or promotion in years and never had a bonus or recognition of any kind despite self improvement of skills, being patient with faculty that treat me poorly, and working overtime without compensation (they will deny this) but this is the de facto reality.

626 Other Employee Reviews for University of Washington (View Most Recent)

Good Experience

I worked at University of Washington

Pros

UW is a great place to work and it is a beautiful campus to spend time on. Also lots of food choices for lunch.

Cons

Downside of working at the UW as a staff member is if you are considered professional staff or if you are supported by the union.

I was always pleased with the leadership in the department that I worked for, The Information School. Brilliant people with a desire to succeed.

Great environment

I worked at University of Washington

Pros

The overall environment is supportive and positive. While there are often dead ends in career paths, many managers actively suggest and respect educational opportunities which can promote moving in a new direction to further or change a career.

Cons

Depending on the department and management involved, there are a lot of politics and petty arguments which can stand in the way of progress as well as stunt the cooperative spirit of the school. Often new ideas are stopped dead in their tracks for fear of stepping on sensitive toes.

Respect the advice and ideas of those below you. If upper management is making changes and plans for the future that involve those below them, everyone involved should be included in the discussions and planning.

There are newer employer reviews for University of Washington