University of Washington
www.washington.edu Seattle, WA 5000+ Employees

Great benefits

Project Coordinator (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

ProsGreat benefits (medical/dental/vision, retirement, flex accounts, health club access, Metro pass, etc.) and very nice people. Plus, once you're hired into the UW, it's fairly easy to switch from one position or department to another. Also, being in the U-District, you're very close to great restaurants and shops, and the students keep the atmosphere vibrant.

ConsIt's sort of a bureaucratic nightmare with plenty of people in management who have no business being there. I'm certain they mean well, but most were not prepared to accept the position in terms of their knowledge of managing people and retaining staff. I've seen a LOT of turn-over since I've been here, and that's pretty much the norm across the University.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a class or two on how to manage and retain staff. Be more transparent and communicative with your employees-- it builds morale.

There are some good people. But the politics can get out of hand

Research Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Washington full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Work schedule can be flexible, which is especially good for those with family. Company does offer classes that might be related to your field for… Cons: People can be lazy, mean, steal ideas and present them as their own, or put the blame on you. Some people who have worked here… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A grab bag filled with a mixture of highly passionate, talented individuals and the worst stereotypes of lazy employees.

Program Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Washington full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Good benefits, fun environment, rewarding mission. Cons: Stress, poor leadership, mismanagement of resources Advice to Senior Management: Privatize as much as you can! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on University of Washington.

Worked for University of Washington? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Washington reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for University of Washington CEO Michael K. Young. All reviews posted anonymously by University of Washington employees.