IT help

I have been working at University of Washington part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible hours and nice management

Cons

unorganized training, meaning in work

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Necessary, but frustrating

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a graduate student, it's one of the only ways to get your tuition paid. For out of state and international student, this is particularly valuable. Another plus is that you get to work on diverse and interesting projects that may turn into research opportunities for dissertation work.

Cons

Your pay is extremely poor, and you have effectively no ability to affect your pay rate, as it's largely defined by state funding levels. Advisors vary widely in quality, and your work load may exceed contractual requirements. Finally, since you're often tied to a particular professor through both your work and your research, you're effectively unable to move if conditions are unacceptable to you. This last point is really important - if you're lucky enough to work with someone you like, you're fine. But if you have difficulties with your employing professor, it's very hard to do anything about it without endangering your academic career.

2. Amazing place to be

I have been working at University of Washington

Pros

I love working at the UW. Not only do I get to enjoy a lot of flexibility, autonomy and be a part of something bigger but I also get to work with students every day. Benefits are wonder

Cons

While we have great benefits, the salaries are fairly low compared to private industry. However, the flexibility of the job makes up for the lower salaries.