University of Washington

There are newer employer reviews for University of Washington

Not a great experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was extremely excited when I received a job offer from UW. I've heard great things about being a UW employee and after doing some research on this site, I saw all the positive reviews and thought it was going to be a great place to work. I was wrong! After a month, I submitted my resignation. I can't wait to be done working here! To be fair, many of my co-workers have told me to explore opportunities in other departments because things can be very different depending on the area you work in. Maybe I just joined the wrong team and the job wasn't a great fit for me. Either way, my advice would be ask A LOT of questions during the interview process to ensure you don't end up in this situation!

Cons

Does not pay well, archaic systems, unnecessary processes, monotonous work, controlling managers (micro-managing!!!), little autonomy, not a lot of flexibility (regarding work schedule or time-off), extremely formal, tense culture. In a nutshell, this place operates a lot like many companies did 10 years ago. They need to step it up and get with the times!

Hire managers that will engage and inspire their employees, invest in new systems and put leaders through change management and LEAN training.

649 Other Employee Reviews for University of Washington (View Most Recent)

"Lifer" so far

I have been working at University of Washington full-time

Pros

The benefits are great, the Seattle campus is easy to get to from surrounding neighborhoods North + West of campus and downtown (cannot speak to other areas); some good people to interact with.

Cons

Poor future career prospects; office politics will make-or-break your experience; may run into unmotivated/worn down colleagues, or those who should have been let go a long time ago. (It is difficult to fire within the UW.)

Great work for a grad student

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible hours for students and wide variety of co-workers

Cons

Typical bureaucracy issues and limited resources

There are newer employer reviews for University of Washington