Typical Graduate Student Experience - Difficult, All-consuming, Exhausting

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Madison, WI
Current Employee - Graduate Student in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Madison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is a good university to get a PhD from. It has a strong research environment with good training and collaboration opportunities between departments (CALS is particularly good!). Professors and staff are knowledgeable and experienced. The overall Wisconsin community is friendly.

GREAT health benefits! It's worth it to study here just for the benefits!

Cons

My experience here is as a graduate student. You basically have no life outside of your research. Your work hours never end. The stipend is minimal.

reviews filtered by
  1. Wisconsin is cold, so does the school feel to me...

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Madison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a big school with a lot of intelligent students and professors.

Cons

The administration is so bureaucratic! As an international student, I needed some help on my tax return. The pay roll office, international student service, and my department office pushed me to each other, without offering any useful help. Even worse, the pay roll office once replied to me on the phone that "we can too many of Asians on campus", and cannot help every single one of you!"

2. Great experience.

Current Employee - Student Mentor in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Student Mentor in Madison, WI

I have been working at University of Wisconsin-Madison part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You become a mentor to students and get to watch them improve in their classes. Also the hours are flexible and can work around your schedule.

Cons

There are limited hours because you meet with each student only 1-2 hours a week. But it is a nice job for a student with limited time.