University of the Sciences in Philadelphia

www.usciences.edu
  www.usciences.edu
There are newer employer reviews for University of the Sciences in Philadelphia

Small friendly university environment.

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Associate Professor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia

Pros

USP offers a small university community where you know everybody. The University seems to be on an an upward trend.

Cons

Because it is a small university everybody knows everybody else and it can be a little suffocating.

Be more transparent, and give feedback as to WHY decisions were made.

13 Other Employee Reviews for University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (View Most Recent)

Awful - a miserable experience. I felt like I regressed in my career. A total waste of time.

I worked at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia

Pros

There are several very competent people on staff, and many friendly, encouraging faculty members. If you can stand the politics (or better, be part of it), and play the game to enrich yourself and your leadership, then you can have a very comfortable experience (and not have to really work either!).

Cons

This institution is a sinking ship. Stay away from it! Nepotism runs rampant, and politics rules the day. The institution is a closed community that disdains outside thinking and influence. The leadership believes that their main mission is for all faculty and staff to remain employed, no matter how poor the performances. Want to get a paycheck without really working or being held accountable? Then this is the place for you.

Resign, and stop getting rich off of the students (all senior leadership are given vehicles as part of their perks). You have lost so many competent employees, and you wonder why the school is having such a difficult time recruiting students.

Great opportunity for Graduate School.

Current Employee - Graduate Student Instructor
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Instructor

I have been working at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a graduate student I got to teach classes and labs, which helped me become the confidant speaker I am today. Teaching responsibility was not too restrictive, I had plenty of time to get my research done. I got paid a stipend and my tuition was covered. The graduate faculty is phenomenal in all departments I had interaction with. A lot of interesting research is being conducted.

Cons

Some of the research buildings and equipment are outdated. To be a successful job candidate upon entering the workforce, experience with more up to date equipment would be helpful.

This isn't really a con but: If any future graduate students are reading this, you should expect to work late nights and weekends if you want to finish your PhD in a reasonable time. Getting a PhD is not supposed to be easy, it takes hard work.

The school in recent years has put a lot of emphasis on Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, and Physician's Assistant programs and has sort of let research fall by the wayside. Research is an expensive endeavor and should be treated like a long term investment. Usciences has to be able to support research if they want to compete with larger universities like Temple, Jefferson, and Penn.

Build new research buildings. If you want top level grants to come in, facilities and equipment have to be able to support them. Allow for more fully funded graduate students.

There are newer employer reviews for University of the Sciences in Philadelphia