Uno Restaurants

Awesome

Former Employee - Server/Trainer in Huntington, WV
Former Employee - Server/Trainer in Huntington, WV

I worked at Uno Restaurants

Pros

Fun, good opportunity for advancement

Cons

College town customers, lack of professional environment

Create a better professional atmosphere

82 Other Employee Reviews for Uno Restaurants (View Most Recent)

Marketing, upsell, wait hand and foot on customers who either want, but dont appreciate it or dont even want it.

Current Employee - Waitstaff, Host in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Waitstaff, Host in Madison, WI

I have been working at Uno Restaurants

Pros

The training to exceed customer expectations and be observant to a customer's needs and learn the (large) menu well. These points are all stressed more than in many restaurants where all these things are often only as much as the employee wants and often lacks as such.

Cons

Employees are COMPLETELY at the disposal of the employer. While it can happen sometimes (hopefully not at all), it is unacceptable for employees who drive 45m away to get ready for work and come in and be sent home minutes later because they think it'll be slow and wont need you. This has happened to me 2x (I live 15 m away), 2x to another and once to 5 different people that I know of. I have worked there for 4 mos. According to an info sheet posted in back next to the schedule, the schedule is supposed to be posted on thursdays, schedule was never up thursday (and my coworkers who have worked there for 2 years say it's never out on time) and is usually up friday night, often saturday afternoon before it's up. This schedule is for the following week, beginning monday ! The schedule is only one week at a time, so AT BEST, you dont know Friday when you work the following Monday, only 3 days later ! If you are off for the weekend, this sucks even more if the schedule isnt up till sat. My request off, even 2 weeks in advance, for tickets bought months before I started working there was not granted, even though when I checked around, there were other people available to work. I have found this to be commonplace w/ my coworkers. ANY schedule changes/requests off have to be delivered in writing to ONE particular person, can't even 'be left' for that person to get, even if you confirm it's receipt the next time that person is in. Employees have to ask (and be denied or granted) to use the phone while on or off duty, before or after shift. No personal phone calls (common and acceptable). To order food using emp disc (only on working days), you have to : write your order on your punch slip, find a mgr to initial it, find and wait for a bartender (only a bartender) to place you order, go back to the mgr and get them to apply discount, pay bartender for your food. Employee discount is different depending who you ask (50% off on everything or anything above $5 or $8 dollars, depending....) .
    The GM goes around checking cleanliness of dining room with a flashlight and says you should have gotten that 1/50 th" of dust on the floor in back of your booth, or on top of the hanging lamp above the table, or on the window sill by your booth, or the 3 specks or windex residue on the pictiure frame glass on the pics surrounding your booth. This is not for the cleaning people, this is waitstaff job description at UNO's. FOR MINIMUM WAGE, they expect you to cater to every exceeded expectation, gimmick , smoke and mirror (customers never open the front door for themselves, kid's make your own pizza at table -common order item, discounts, promos for everything imaginable). They expect you to perform and behave like a 'professional' (exact words) FOR MINIMUM WAGE. I have never worked anywhere there is such unprofessional, catty immaturity of social atmosphere. I have worked in about 5 other restaurants in the last 12 yrs, last one for 8 yrs. It is COMMON at UNO to receive a 35cent tip, leave a shift with $4 and you are still expected to tip out, mgrs remove $1 or 3% (whichever is more) for each tipped out person, leaving you with $2 plus ($2.33) wage to go home with for a 4 hr breakfast shift. Breakfast shifts suck, but I calculated an average of my earnings (wage and tip) over a month (for 2 months) and I averaged $7.35 one moth and $8.65 another. Dont let this be the face of job creation as our economy 'recovers'. Yes, all these people have jobs, but hey work their buns off for far less than a livable wage and instead of getting a phone call to not come in, are often sent home without even punching in. They do offer insurance (I dont know what it covers, I wanted but couldn't afford it) but wouldn't be surprised if it's a smoke and mirror plan that costs more than it covers.

You will retain people in all areas if you pay them what theyre worth.

Not really worth it

Current Employee - Server in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Server in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Uno Restaurants

Pros

They say that there is a lot of room to take on new responsibilities and grow in the company if you plan to be there for a long time, but you have to fight for shifts

Cons

Averaged $10-$12 an hour
    Inconsistant shifts
    Poor communication regarding scheduling and time off
    Want you to up-sell several things at once
    High turn-over - always new faces so there lacks a sense of "team"

Work with the employees, listen to their scheduling needs and don't punish them if they don't have full availability.

There are newer employer reviews for Uno Restaurants