Unum Group

www.unum.com

A solid company with a great rack record.

Current Employee - Account Consultant  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
Current Employee - Account Consultant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Diversity of the products offered (from an insurance perspective). The brand name also helps as Unum is one of the premier Life/Disability carriers in the nation. Our benefits package is also stellar. Another plus is that management seems to have a great track record which is important (especially in these economic times).

Cons

The opportunities for promotion are not what I would have anticipated. Opportunities for advancement in the field are not plentiful. They are if you work in their corporate office in Portland, ME. It would also be nice to have some flextime (working from home on occasion) but that practice is not well regarded.

Continue to provide us with timely communication, especially in this economic environment.

Other reviews for Unum Group

Better than most places.

Former Employee - Advanced Senior Paralegal  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Advanced Senior Paralegal in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

Benefits. Its also a good place for a lazy person to work...

Cons

As with many jobs...the favortism. I worked there for almost 10 years and even though I benefited from the favoritism myself some times...it still wasn't fair.

Quit listening to what tickles your ear...

A good opportunity for patient, young career builders.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

The Paid Time Off policy is probably the single greatest thing Unum has going. New employees get 23 days. Every 5 years, add 5 days to that up to a maximum of 33. You can also roll 5 days year-over-year, so the old-timers have 38 days! Career advancement is a little slow for young people today, but the workforce is exceptionally old, and Unum still has a strong pension plan. In the next 15 years there could be a pretty serious exodus to retirement, so the Gen Y'ers who get in now and learn the business will be very well positioned for the future. Also Chattanooga is a great city to live in if you like outdoor and athletic activity. The nightlife in Chattanooga is a little lacking, but is perfectly enjoyable if you like the tavern and pool-hall scene. Just don't expect to find long lines to get into clubs with bottle service.

Cons

Insurance is not an inherently thrilling industry. The workforce is pretty "seasoned" and most are just coasting, so the openings to move up aren't there yet. Still, see the good reasons above for more on this. As a younger person, I'm not a big fan of the retirement plan. Unum has DB pension, and a weak 401k match. I believe its 50% on up to 6%. I'd prefer a full match, plus vested 401k contributions, since you don't have to rely on the company to fund and invest its pension properly. Seems like a lot of companies are cutting or underfunding these. Several departments are bogged down by red tape, approval committees, and typical corporate bureaucracy. Good managers shield their employees from it, but some are just coasting to retirement and do absolutely nothing, which surprisingly is a pretty effective way to keep your job.

Do more to engage, train, and keep your junior talent.

There are newer employer reviews for Unum Group.

Worked for Unum Group? Contribute to the Community!