There are newer employer reviews for Unum Group

Unum not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Disability Benefit Specialist in Worcester, MA
Current Employee - Disability Benefit Specialist in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

The benefits package is very generous and the amount of paid time off is substantial even for entry level job title. The people that work there are good people and there is an easy balance with work and leizure. The benefit package is very good and I think anyone would be hard pressed to find any sort of benefit package that tops the one that they provide their employees. The company encourages people to take different jobs within the company which can prove to be beneficial for anyone that bores doing one job for too long and it also is looked as a managerial development tool.

Cons

There seems to be a lack of ability to climb the ladder and the job is essentially the same thing every day. t times, expectations of timeliness are unreasonable given the amount of duties one is responsible for. It is virtually impossible to do everything on time in an 8 hour work day. The quality assurance ratings are unreasnable as well, and those scored reflet the bonus compensation that an employee recieves. Across the company people struggle with there quality assurance score and it almost seems like it is a way to justify a low compensation bonus for the year.

Advice to Management

offer more growth oppurtunities and speed up the promotional process for those that deserve to be promoted.

reviews filtered by

A solid company with a great rack record.

Current Employee - Account Consultant in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Account Consultant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Diversity of the products offered (from an insurance perspective). The brand name also helps as Unum is one of the premier Life/Disability carriers in the nation. Our benefits package is also stellar. Another plus is that management seems to have a great track record which is important (especially in these economic times).

Cons

The opportunities for promotion are not what I would have anticipated. Opportunities for advancement in the field are not plentiful. They are if you work in their corporate office in Portland, ME. It would also be nice to have some flextime (working from home on occasion) but that practice is not well regarded.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide us with timely communication, especially in this economic environment.

Better than most places.

Former Employee - Advanced Senior Paralegal in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Advanced Senior Paralegal in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

Benefits. Its also a good place for a lazy person to work...

Cons

As with many jobs...the favortism. I worked there for almost 10 years and even though I benefited from the favoritism myself some times...it still wasn't fair.

Advice to Management

Quit listening to what tickles your ear...