Unum Group
www.unum.com Chattanooga, TN 5000+ Employees

Worst. Company. Ever.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIF you want to be treated like cattle and treated like a "number" then this is the place for you! If you like to be treated like a child at age 35 then this is the place for you. If you want to transport back to high school where there are cliques and teacher's pets then this is the place for you!

ConsI feel like I was duped by accepting a position at Unum. So many promises were made during the interview process, only to find out the recruiters who interview you and provide the information about pay and promotions clearly have no idea what the specific position entails. But I had heard from a friend of a friend it was a good place to work. Worst decision ever. I have vast experience in sales, service, management and could have added value to my team and my manager but it is seen as a threat to their authority and position (which we were constantly reminded hinged on our performance and us not rocking the boat). Upper management is invisible and I was actually reprimanded once for presenting an idea and not clearing it with my manager first because she wanted to so-present it (take credit).

Advice to Senior ManagementUrge your lower level managers to LISTEN to employees - just because someone might be in a lower level position to get their foot in door does not mean they do not have valid experience and ideas and input to give. Don't make lower level managers an obstacle to growth. But I am sure this will fall on deaf ears since most of the company meetings I had to sit through where we were force fed how great it is, how much they care about employees and their growth , etc. were wrought with employee eye-rolling and "yeah rights".

corporate america

Disability Benefit Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Unum Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: health insurance, pto perks, big company Cons: big company, unrealistic goals, too number focused Advice to Senior Management: used to be a good work environment until things became… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Unum is a great company, it prides itself on being more like a small family company. Great benefits and very stable.

Systems Analyst II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: very friendly work environment, since the outsourcing days have ended technology is… Cons: Like any large company the bureaucracy does drag somewhat, but it is not a major problem.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Unum Group.

Worked for Unum Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Unum Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Unum Group CEO Tom Watjen. All reviews posted anonymously by Unum Group employees.