A good place for balancing work and play

Current Employee - Software Analyst I  in  Chattanooga, TN
Current Employee - Software Analyst I in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

A good place to maintain a steady career that allows one to balance work and play. The employees I worked with were generally helpful, relaxed, and friendly. Available to the employees is a well-stocked cafeteria, dining atrium, and indoor walking track.

Cons

Several levels of bureaucracy, relatively little gained in impressive experience. However, the reason I may leave is due to the fact that there is relatively little to be gained in the area of impressive resume-boosting experience for a software developer. Most of the work is basic .NET programming, primarily focusing on C#, ASP .NET, and MSSQL. This may be someone's cup of tea, but not mine.

I think for what Unum is, senior management has done a good job

Other Reviews for Unum Group

ok, but don't expect too much

Former Employee - Systems Consultant  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

great benefits package, generous time off, some interesting and new technology for an insurance company.

Cons

if you're in a management position, you'll never be able to take the time off. Organizational resistance to change is huge, and getting simple improvements through is very difficult.

focus on long term value creation in the marketplace - the stock will respond over time.

Unum not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Disability Benefit Specialist  in  Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Disability Benefit Specialist in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

The benefits package is very generous and the amount of paid time off is substantial even for entry level job title. The people that work there are good people and there is an easy balance with work and leizure. The benefit package is very good and I think anyone would be hard pressed to find any sort of benefit package that tops the one that they provide their employees. The company encourages people to take different jobs within the company which can prove to be beneficial for anyone that bores doing one job for too long and it also is looked as a managerial development tool.

Cons

There seems to be a lack of ability to climb the ladder and the job is essentially the same thing every day. t times, expectations of timeliness are unreasonable given the amount of duties one is responsible for. It is virtually impossible to do everything on time in an 8 hour work day. The quality assurance ratings are unreasnable as well, and those scored reflet the bonus compensation that an employee recieves. Across the company people struggle with there quality assurance score and it almost seems like it is a way to justify a low compensation bonus for the year.

offer more growth oppurtunities and speed up the promotional process for those that deserve to be promoted.

There are newer employer reviews for Unum Group.

Worked for Unum Group? Contribute to the Community!