There are newer employer reviews for Unum Group

Unum - Lack of leadership and consistency

Current Employee - Senior Disability Benefits Specialist in Worcester, MA
Current Employee - Senior Disability Benefits Specialist in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Time off
Coworkers
Benefits package is adequate

Cons

Processes keep changing, no input sought from those people actually performing the essential work duties
Management does not know how to develop performance
Management pays attention only to favorite employees, ignores the rest
Management does not communicate professionally
Senior management has no clue what directors are doing or how they treat employees
Advancement and promotions tied to whether someone likes the employee, now how the employee performs

Advice to senior management
1. Get rid of most of the directors, hire people who know how to lead and develop
2. Stop getting rid of the most talented people (because you neglect them) and fire the incompetent ones
3. Stop promoting people who the Worcester management team don't even have faith or confidence in
4. Teach your directors how to manage stress effectively - every single month during the last week they freak out, take their frustrations and anxieties out on the employees and manipulate/pressure the employees to close claims inappropriately - it is getting worse and Worcester senior management just protects their directors rather than doing anything about it

131 Other Employee Reviews for Unum Group (View Most Recent)

A good place for balancing work and play

Current Employee - Software Analyst I in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Software Analyst I in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

A good place to maintain a steady career that allows one to balance work and play. The employees I worked with were generally helpful, relaxed, and friendly. Available to the employees is a well-stocked cafeteria, dining atrium, and indoor walking track.

Cons

Several levels of bureaucracy, relatively little gained in impressive experience. However, the reason I may leave is due to the fact that there is relatively little to be gained in the area of impressive resume-boosting experience for a software developer. Most of the work is basic .NET programming, primarily focusing on C#, ASP .NET, and MSSQL. This may be someone's cup of tea, but not mine.

I think for what Unum is, senior management has done a good job

ok, but don't expect too much

Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

great benefits package, generous time off, some interesting and new technology for an insurance company.

Cons

if you're in a management position, you'll never be able to take the time off. Organizational resistance to change is huge, and getting simple improvements through is very difficult.

focus on long term value creation in the marketplace - the stock will respond over time.

There are newer employer reviews for Unum Group