There are newer employer reviews for Unum Group

Extremely proud to work for this company

Current Employee - Non-Management in Chattanooga, TN
Current Employee - Non-Management in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

My experience at Unum has been great. They have paid for school, benefits are good, salary is extremely competitive, and I have received numerous opportunities for growth in my career. After working for several other employers I finally came to Unum due to the recommendation of several friends. Of course all jobs have their bad days and no employer is perfect, but overall I have been extremely impressed with management and have been treated very well.

Cons

As others have mentioned, your experience is directly affected by your department and the type of work you do. Be sure to evaluate the work carefully when interviewing and don't hesitate to ask specific questions before accepting a position (ask what a typical day looks like, what the department goals are, if there are production requirements, etc). There are many positions with unfamiliar names, so if you don't ask you may not be 100% sure what your job will look like. Also, this is a LARGE company. I have worked for both large and small companies and I enjoy the hustle and bustle of large corporations. If you prefer a small company this may not be a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

In my opinion Sr. Management works hard to improve the work environment and employee morale. They continually seek feedback and are open to change. Continue that you'll continue to run a successful company.

reviews filtered by

Great company with as much focus towards employees as their customers.

Current Employee - IT Department in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - IT Department in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Excellent benefits package right off the bat when you're hired on - you get roughly 20 days of paid time off (PTO) plus a week's worth of company holidays. Competitive health-care package. Pay is decent enough in IT for the area along with company bonuses handed out yearly according to profit/employee performance. Unum seeks to identify and encourage employee dedication and rewards with promotions. Chattanooga campus is very self-contained so there is little need to rush off in a hurry at lunchtime as there is an excellent cafeteria, credit union, walking track, and outdoor garden for break times. Mid-level management are usually very personable and approachable and treat everyone as adults without micro-managing. Great effort is spent on making the work environment as enjoyable as possible without distracting from the work itself.

Cons

Depending on the department you work in - daily schedule and leeway in how you manage your time at work can differ greatly. For example, the customer service call center takes inbound calls from insurance customers so the employees there are tied to the phones and monitored. If they are off the phones for 5 minutes, to answer a personal cell phone call for instance, management may come around and inquire. This is in start contrast to other departments, whose employees may only see their manager once a week at a staff meeting. That being said, Unum call-center employees are working at one of the best call centers in the area due to the month vacation time and good pay.

Advice to Management

Not much to say really, as I said before - management seems to be doing everything right already. Keep it up !

2. sales force is getting younger and younger with the majority of reps often leaving by year 4.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

The best training in the industry, very knowledgable management team (probably the best in the industry) great benefis. Very solid group of senior management. A good team atmosphere, with tenured service staff.

Cons

Very small territories given to reps (even senior reps) and new models call for more reps in evey city. The "churn and burn" atmosphere of sales permeates throughout the salesforce. It can be tough to coexist with producing managers that may or may not have a reps best interest first. Too often you are caught looking over your shoulder at trainees that are waiting for a territory to open up or take territory from every rep.

Advice to Management

Too many reps, too many mangers. Your competition has proved that a leaner model not only works, but is necessary in todays market. Too much solid talent has left this organizaiton to be top sales rep for your competition.