Unum Group

Not worth it

Former Employee - FMLA Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
Former Employee - FMLA Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

I went to work for Unum straight out of college. I found it a learning experience and a real eye-opener experience in regards to learning about corporate culture.

Cons

Bottom line, to much work with not enough pay.

Better communication with staff. Improve the way in which employees can post out to other positions.

139 Other Employee Reviews for Unum Group (View Most Recent)

Pay/benefits not worth the headache.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

Generous paid time off (combination of sick leave and vacation), above average other benefits. Pay is above average.

Cons

Management and work flow structure make getting anything done virtually impossible. Directives are constantly coming from 3-4 different directions. HEAVY reliance on e-mail. 100+ per day is the norm in my former department. Very few difference makers. Mostly middle management types looking to cover their own butts. So many people are looking only out for themselves and their annual reviews that a true cohesive goal is virtually impossible. Front line employees end up taking direction from more than 3-4 people creating chaos in their workload.

Thin middle management. So many people are looking only out for themselves and their annual reviews that a true cohesive goal is virtually impossible. Front line employees end up taking direction from more than 3-4 people creating chaos in their workload.

Unum is a great place to work

Current Employee - DBS in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - DBS in Portland, ME

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Unum is a great company for several reasons. They actually care about the employees. They will do whatever it takes to make sure we have the tools and information necessary to do our job as efficiently and effectively as possible. They also have a great flexible schedule program, so if you need to leave during the day to get things done, you can make up the time later.

Cons

It can be difficult to get promoted and the timeframes for promotions are kind of long. Other than that, it is a great place to work and start a career. I really enjoy the atomsphere.

None.