Unum Group

UNUM - A good place to work

Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Portland, ME
Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Portland, ME

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

UNUM pays very well compared to other companies in the area. It's actually one of the better paying companies in the state. It has a very good benefits package, and supports a work / home balance.

Cons

I think that Unum's lacks alot of recognition of employees, especially in IT.

Overall, I think it has become a really good company.

141 Other Employee Reviews for Unum Group (View Most Recent)

Not worth it

Former Employee - FMLA Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - FMLA Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

I went to work for Unum straight out of college. I found it a learning experience and a real eye-opener experience in regards to learning about corporate culture.

Cons

Bottom line, to much work with not enough pay.

Better communication with staff. Improve the way in which employees can post out to other positions.

Pay/benefits not worth the headache.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

Generous paid time off (combination of sick leave and vacation), above average other benefits. Pay is above average.

Cons

Management and work flow structure make getting anything done virtually impossible. Directives are constantly coming from 3-4 different directions. HEAVY reliance on e-mail. 100+ per day is the norm in my former department. Very few difference makers. Mostly middle management types looking to cover their own butts. So many people are looking only out for themselves and their annual reviews that a true cohesive goal is virtually impossible. Front line employees end up taking direction from more than 3-4 people creating chaos in their workload.

Thin middle management. So many people are looking only out for themselves and their annual reviews that a true cohesive goal is virtually impossible. Front line employees end up taking direction from more than 3-4 people creating chaos in their workload.

There are newer employer reviews for Unum Group