There are newer employer reviews for Unum Group

Worthwhile internship, if just financially

Former Employee - Business Technology Intern in Portland, ME
Former Employee - Business Technology Intern in Portland, ME

Pros

Great compensation, strong group aspect of internship that showcased elements of the company that I didn't know about due to my very focused internship. Strong relationship with mentor. Everyone was happy to have me and willing to ask questions. Great entry to a full time position

Cons

Not always enough work for me to do, need to be a self-starter to get the most out of internship at Unum. Did not work with any other interns, and due to the fact that Unum has multiple campuses across the country, often meeting where via video/web conference.

Advice to Management

Continue to take the time to develop fresh talent to re-invigorate an aging work force, especially in the business technology dept.

Other Employee Reviews for Unum Group

Unum is a great company to join or in my case...re-join!

Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Portland, ME

Pros

Unum is a great company to join or in my case - re-join! I started my career @ Unum directly out of college and gained training, mentorship and opportunities that proved invaluable to my HR career. Unlike most of my co-workers who remained happily employed with Unum, I relocated and left Unum. During the past 15 yrs, my career advanced and I had the opportunity to work for several fortune 50/100/250 organizations on the east and west coast. Although, I’ve enjoyed most of the companies I’ve had the opportunity to work with – none of these companies compared to Unum. So…I’m very happily back where I started at Unum with an enlightened appreciation! Some of the best reasons to join Unum are...first and foremost, the employees you’ll work with daily – they are friendly, professional, care about their customers, the top in their field and all reflect a culture of trust, open communication and integrity. Other reasons to work for Unum are: excellent benefits, competitive salaries, first class training, opportunities for growth and an established, yet cutting edge environment.

Cons

I can't think of a downside to working @ Unum....

Advice to Management

Very impressive HR leadership & team!

The Trenches of Deskside Support

Former Employee - Software Installer in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Software Installer in Portland, ME

Pros

The pay and benefits were good. Location was also good. Unfortunately that is all that was good about the place.

Cons

The lack of competent management took the wind out of the sails of the department. No system setup to move forward in one's career. Constant back stabbing in the department. That was my experience.

Advice to Management

Create an environment which fosters cohesion as well as set up a system which a person can follow to move up and to learn more. Bring a more stable management base into the department.