There are newer employer reviews for Unum Group

I've had an excellent experience working for Unum.

Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Portland, ME
Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Portland, ME

Pros

Work/Life Balance, Unum is a very established and solid company. I am proud to work for them and many others that I've talked to are proud too. There are Information Technology employees that have worked there for over 30 years and love it there. That is rare. Even though it is a huge company, I don't feel like I'm just another number.

Cons

Since Unum is a large company they are less agile. Many of the processes that lower agility also reduce risk as compared to a small company. Unum is pretty good at managing the agility/risk, but sometimes falls short.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Other Employee Reviews for Unum Group

Not worth it

Former Employee - FMLA Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - FMLA Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

I went to work for Unum straight out of college. I found it a learning experience and a real eye-opener experience in regards to learning about corporate culture.

Cons

Bottom line, to much work with not enough pay.

Advice to Management

Better communication with staff. Improve the way in which employees can post out to other positions.

Pay/benefits not worth the headache.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

Generous paid time off (combination of sick leave and vacation), above average other benefits. Pay is above average.

Cons

Management and work flow structure make getting anything done virtually impossible. Directives are constantly coming from 3-4 different directions. HEAVY reliance on e-mail. 100+ per day is the norm in my former department. Very few difference makers. Mostly middle management types looking to cover their own butts. So many people are looking only out for themselves and their annual reviews that a true cohesive goal is virtually impossible. Front line employees end up taking direction from more than 3-4 people creating chaos in their workload.

Advice to Management

Thin middle management. So many people are looking only out for themselves and their annual reviews that a true cohesive goal is virtually impossible. Front line employees end up taking direction from more than 3-4 people creating chaos in their workload.