Unum Changed After the Merger

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Portland, ME
Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Portland, ME

I worked at Unum Group

Pros

Great Management at Unum prior to the Merger. Training employees and support in job functions was the focus.

Cons

Merged with Provident and lost focus on importance of employees.

Learn from your mistakes and look at the Unum model prior to the merger. Employees are your most important asset.

Other Reviews for Unum Group

Not a place to build careers

Current Employee - Disability Specialist  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Disability Specialist in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Unum has excellent health, vision, and dental care packages. The PTO is pretty generous. However the actually salary is below industry standard

Cons

Working at Unum is a very grueling task especially for a DBS. Unum is slow to promote and the the career path is pretty terrible. Some of the managers are incompenent and only care about their numbers. Sadly really intelligent people at Unum end up leaving because of the lack of opprotunities avaliable. The same people are the ones who get recognized. The pay doesn't reflect the work. Pesronally I feel as though Unum doens't recognize talent. DBS are at the bottom of the totem pole at this company even though we are the ones doing the most work.

Promotions should be based on quality of work not time served on the job. I also believe that senior management should develop more opprotunities to move up in the company. The pay for a DBS needs to be increased.

The #1 Disability Insurer and Creator of Quality Coverage was sold in 1997.

Current Employee - Field Supervisor, Senior Represenative, Disability Analyst  in  Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Field Supervisor, Senior Represenative, Disability Analyst in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Was #1 in Quality Insurance Products the entire time it existed.

Cons

None. The time you put in was entirely up to you.

None - The Company was bought out when it was entered by a Conglomerant and sold on the Stock Market.

There are newer employer reviews for Unum Group.

Worked for Unum Group? Contribute to the Community!