Upper Iowa University

Great people, Provincial outlook

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Upper Iowa University

Pros

Working relationship with co-workers. Opportunity to be involved in the community. Premier relationship with working adults seeking college degrees. Great adjunct faculty.

Cons

Insufficient clerical support, some reports time-consuming and superfluous, very political "us and them" mentality between the home campus and remote centers, poor level of service from campus resources for remote centers, weak student information infrastructure. Mistakes by some not remediated but mistakes by others result in termination--unbalanced execution, lack of consistency. On-campus faculty hold too much power and influence.

Recognize the support needed for the source ov most revenue and stop being so campus-centric in policies, services, and support. Get remote locations into the decision and policy making activities and lessen the over-bearing influence of the on-campus faculty.

11 Other Employee Reviews for Upper Iowa University (View Most Recent)

UIU is a place I call home.

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Fort Leavenworth, KS
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Fort Leavenworth, KS

I have been working at Upper Iowa University part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

One of the few universities offering accelerated programs that actually still value academic standards and don't just push students through because their checks clear. While I cannot speak directly to the main campus, at my satellite campus, faculty are treated as valued and respected members, whose contributions are necessary for the longevity of the university.

Cons

The main campus has bizarre criteria for assigning classes. For example, I have an engineering degree and 20 years experience teaching undergraduate and graduate statistics, as well as numerous published articles on the subject, and yet am not allowed to teach statistics, because I don't have a "math" degree. Likewise, they won't hire a colleague of mine to teach criminal justice, despite him being an accomplished defense attorney, but they will assign the class to someone with a degree in sociology.

Reevaluate who you place in charge of teaching credentials and assignments. Also, it would be nice if they brought adjunct faculty salaries into the 21st Century, especially if you're going brag about how much money you've spent on the new athletic center.

Loved working for UIU.

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Alexandria, LA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Alexandria, LA

I have been working at Upper Iowa University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great Place to work, friendly staff

Cons

There Really were no cons. Great Job.

There are newer employer reviews for Upper Iowa University