Urban Outfitters

There are newer employer reviews for Urban Outfitters

Fun but no cake walk

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time (less than a year)

Pros

you get great discounts on merch, an inside look at the latest trends and a better understanding of the brands/products. you get to meet and interact with people daily (both customers and co workers) , and urban's "peers helping peers" policy makes it easier to get the hang of things. overall UO does a good job of doing things to acknowledge/engage their employees and getting you involved/motivated

Cons

due to customers, the job can be very repetitive and counter productive; at times it can be frustrating to try to meet your shift goals and standers for the area your assigned to. it's a really fast pace job most of the time, so don't get the idea that it's "laid back" or "easy" and there's a good amount of information that you need to learn nearly right away. then of course, there's dealing with those difficult customers that you get every so often.

680 Other Employee Reviews for Urban Outfitters (View Most Recent)

Awful, Awful, Awful!!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Trenton, SC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Trenton, SC

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very Laid back atmosphere, great co-workers, some customers really make coming to work great.

Cons

-Management sucks, and are so un-professional, me and my direct supervisor had a minor disagreement about a QA Score that was obviously flawed, and she told me that if I didn't agree with her the door was in the same place as when I walked in for my shift.
    -The director openly promotes and give schedules based on personal favorites (females/caucasian/blond/attractive), I was ranked in the top 10 the whole time I was there, yet was stuck working 3pm-12am with random SPLIT days off. and to add insult to injury your schedule can change on a daily basis (Monday:3-12am Tuesday:7am-4pm Wednesday:11am-8pm, etc etc)
    -Turnover is sooooo high! Ex: I started in a training class of 22 people, by the time I hit 90 days it was only 4 of us left.
    -They hate giving raises.
    -The other depts treat the customer care dept as if we're the black plague when we all start at the same pay rate.
    -Store reps are some of the most idiotic people I've come in contact with, and corporate always makes it seem like we're the rude ones making excuses for them.
    -I left after 11 months due to having to drive to the middle of no where for complete BS.

Corporate needs to do a complete overhaul to the call center team, by first getting rid of the director!

Place is a joke. It's like high school.

Former Employee - Level 1 IT Support in Trenton, SC
    Former Employee - Level 1 IT Support in Trenton, SC

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No dress code. Initially had a good work schedule.

Cons

Everyone in management acts like a high school bully. I was in the level 1 Tech support dept in South Carolina. My supervisor hated upper management and they hated her and each other. They would constantly blame each other for failures of the IT department as a whole. The senior IT manager fired my supervisor randomly one day. We didn't have a supervisor for 5 months. They put the retail call center director in charge. He had no interest in it. He even told me one time our jobs were useless because his people were the ones who generated revenue. The guy was a jerk. I did have a decent schedule before my boss got canned. The director would make random schedules and some people would be working 14 straight days. He just didn't care. I was the most senior one on the team (since the other 5 people who started with me quit) and was working every weekend. Meanwhile new employees were getting every weekend off. The pay was horrendous. The usual pay for this position is 15 an hour. We took the jobs at 9.50 an hour. We were promised that since we were a new department we would be getting the appropriate raises soon. As soon as the budget for IT was sorted out. About 7 months later we got a 32 cent raise. Pathetic!!! We were the lowest ones on the totem pole yet were blamed for every screw up upper management did. They would keep passing the buck until it got to us. Then we would be threatened with termination. No other IT departments were in this office so you couldn't advance. I finally quit after being told that we wouldn't get raises for 2011. God awful disorganized company. AVOID!!

Grow up and act like a professional. Pay people for what they are worth.

There are newer employer reviews for Urban Outfitters