Urban Outfitters

www.urbanoutfitters.com
There are newer employer reviews for Urban Outfitters

A fun gig, but a mixed bag.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discount. 40% full price, and every few months 40% sale items. My whole wardrobe was revamped, and I haven't gone a single day without looking shnazzy. Your coworkers are also really cool people, if you can get past the few stingy hipsters and snobby art types they like to hire. You get to wear what you want, and get paid to look cool. You get to tell people at parties you work at urban outfitters. It's pretty darn cool until you turn about 20 or 21... Also, once you work at one store you are almost guaranteed to be able to transfer to any other store. And moving up is easy if you put in the work, definitely not for everyone.

Cons

Management and wage. I've worked at more than one store, and managers are really hit or miss. There is a manager for each department (mens, womens, accessories, housewares, etc), and they will be your bosses for the most part. On top of them is a store manager, who if they happen to be an angry, disillusioned 30-something year old stuck working in retail still, can ruin your workplace experience. I've heard stories of other coworkers at different stores and many go like this: "It was the best place to work and everyone was friends until we got a new store manger..." Then all your cool managers ask to be transferred to a different store because THEIR boss sucks. There's a very high turnover rate at UO retail stores. Pay was just about minimum wage. Holiday bonuses for veteran workers was nice though.

Don't be mean to your employees. We're here to work and part of working for UO requires having a friendly, positive environment not just for the customers but also the employees. Don't blame us for the fact that your career consists of folding clothes and bossing people half your age around.

640 Other Employee Reviews for Urban Outfitters (View Most Recent)

Workin for hipster cred

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The discount is sweet as hell. (50% across the board, sale items excluded except for during christmas and some other holidays)

Cons

Boring, monotonous tasks. Most of the day is spend folding shirts that are not quite perfectly folded. The rest of the day is spend folding shirts that have already been perfectly folded.

Good college job

Former Employee - Team Leader in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Boulder, CO

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good people, good discount, fairly easy to move up in the company. easy college job for associates looking for some extra cash.

Cons

unrewarding work, demands full-time dedication in team-lead position, yet pays about 8 or 9 an hour. no commission. no bonuses. tough when balancing school. moving up in the company often revolves around favoritism rather than qualification.

some of the department managers are complete degenerates who come into work drunk / high. senior management ignores such problems rather than address them.

pay your team-leads more, they work their asses off.

There are newer employer reviews for Urban Outfitters