There are newer employer reviews for Urban Outfitters

Little pay but overall was happy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Urban Outfitters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I thought I had it bad at Urbn. I worked there around 3 years and left for a higher paying position. Once I started the new position I realized how great it was there. You get freedom to design interesting things and a lot of say goes into the garments. The campus is beautiful and they do a lot of great things so their employees: summer party, huge Christmas party, dogs at work, shuttle, bikes for using around campus.
The management is pretty great. Some really amazing people work there and getting to know them really makes you into a better worker.

Cons

You get vastly underpaid. There is little room to move up and the hours can be very long. Depending on what department you work in you may work until 8or9 pm daily.

Advice to Management

Find ways the employees can leave on time!

reviews filtered by
  1. Fun company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time

Pros

Fun, flexible, hours based on how productive you are, nice customers, good employee discount.

Cons

On call schedule, you would only get two days completely off a week the rest if the week you need to call to see if you work.

2. Great Employees, Lots of Fashion, Greedy Corporation

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Urban Outfitters part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great, creative co-workers, Lots of amazing stuff from wonderful designers

Cons

Minimum wage (even for those with retail experience), lots of people right out of high school so you're not always dealing with intellectual people, and the company policies are ridiculous. Unless you're purchasing well known brands, expect that most things are from CHINA, which explains why there are always sales. Their "standards" Are out of this world. In a bad way. The corporate bosses are very picky, and have high expectations of their entry level employees, yet do not want to pay above minimum wage.
    They also want artistically driven employees, yet are pretty demanding about the schedule. I get it, it's retail, but how do you expect creative minded people to continue to literally slave for you and want to stay?

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation to your employees even though you're probably not getting the same from your managers. I can see that that's not easy, but it'll keep everyone on the same page. Also, you're the voice of your employees. Urban wants rebels to work for them, so speak up, ask for higher wages. Stop sitting down and accepting mediocrity from someone who wants the best from you.

There are newer employer reviews for Urban Outfitters