VA Puget Sound Health Care System

A fair assessment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, LA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, LA

I have been working at VA Puget Sound Health Care System

Pros

The benefits are better than private sector employers. The insurance is decent, the pay is consistent, but the management is horrible. I think too many kneejerk reactions are exercised, due to the lack of proper planning.

Cons

The level of education isn't stressed as much as in the private sector - typically diminishing the potential for productivity and effective leadership. I understand that even people with specialized education aren't all the best; however, the experience combined with the education is a better foundation for one to contribute effectively to an organization. The "good ole boy" system is employed entirely too much in the federal sector.

Advice to Management

Engage in training and continuing education to stay abroad of current business practices.

reviews filtered by
  1. This is not a good place to work until you have been with the VA for at LEAST 5 years and have some seniority.

Current Employee - Nurse in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Nurse in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at VA Puget Sound Health Care System

Pros

The health benefits, retirement and vacation/sick time.

Cons

The unsafe neighborhood you have to walk through to just get to work. You are not allowed to park in the VA parking garage but rather a public parking garage 3 blocks away that YOU have to PAY $40 a month to park there and then take your life into your own hands to walk through the "hood". I actually have started carrying pepper spray. Not to mention the rain, sleet, snow.....etc.....

Advice to Management

Do their own jobs and stop delegating everything.

2. There are better organizations to work with

Current Employee - Research Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Research Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at VA Puget Sound Health Care System

Pros

The best part of working there is that you can pay your bills while looking for another job.

Cons

There are numerous hassles working at the VA. Even getting to work is difficult. The parking is bad and it rolls down hill from there. Even if you never work with patient data you are under demands to protect your data on computers. Wasteful retraining is required for irrelevant material. As a researcher in the biological sciences if found it cumbersome to work under rules designed for medical workers.

Advice to Management

I really didn't deal with them. I would generally say that there are huge bureaucracies between people that work there and the senior management. A typical government agency.