VCA Antech

Not what it seems

Former Employee - Corporate in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Corporate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Bring dog to work
Casual atmosphere
Some great people

Cons

Terrible benefits
No performance reviews
Poor raises or none
Some very poor management at the top
Corporate office does not offer training or growth opportunities, all CE is directed towards hospitals

It's great to be down to earth, but it's more important to be fair, respectful and realistic. There are real issues that are not addressed in time and as a result good people leave. VCA is a BIG company and needs to own that reality. Most departments are under staffed and under appreciated. People shouldn't have to come in on weekends and not be paid for it. The benefits are terrible and not competitive at all.

152 Other Employee Reviews for VCA Antech (View Most Recent)

Just a job.

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

Can bring your dog to work.
    Very chill environment.
    No one really bothers you.
    Internet usage is relaxed.
    Comfortable, which can actually be a CON.

Cons

Dust EVERYWHERE. If you have allergies, BEWARE!
    The biggest problem with working here, are the people up top are NOT qualified for their positions. They all got to the top because anyone who is smart, knew to left the company. So what happens over time? The idiots who only know how to "work" and not "lead" get to the top, and all goes to hell. These people are not good at delegating roles, have no idea what the people under them are doing. They are too busy doing what they are doing, which is NOT managing. They are producing reports... which is something they can make others do and then review themselves.

Lots of buddy/buddy groups here. If you are not part of that group, you are done for. Don't expect to get promoted at all. Promotions do not come until someone up top leaves.

Performance reviews are little to none. And when they come, its all made up issues. They'll pull something you did when you first started as a problem area of yours. Top management, even the person above you, usually have NO idea what you actually do on a daily basis. All they know is if a deadline is met... so if they don't know what you do on a daily basis, how are they able to give you an honest and accurate performance review?

The work is deadline based, BUT the funny thing is that if you are more efficient than most of the group, you STILL have to stay the odd hours they are all staying. One would imagine, if you are done with your work, YOU ARE DONE... GO HOME! But no, come in on the weekend even though you have nothing to do at work.

When you start working, there is little to no training at all. They sorta help guide you in the monthly/quarterly tasks, but they don't walk you through what people do step-by-step. I found out some people have been doing some tasks on excel which takes them 1-2 hours to do, but the people who have been working there for 4+ years can do in 3-5 minutes!!!! And its all due to a simple function in excel the people that should have been teaching the new hires could have taught. It has frustrated many new hires over the past few years, which led to them leaving within months.

Some supervisors/managers are anal about some issues that are incredibly immaterial. You will have to spend lots of time redoing a spreadsheet or schedule, that does not matter to begin with.

The executive management is fine. Which means the CEO/COO/VP/CFO. The problems listed are about the department heads.

BENEFITS SUCK as well. Expensive, useless, pointless. I hate that it comes out of my paycheck when everyone else I know has a better plan at their jobs.

You people need to get out of the idea of a strict 9-5pm schedule, and turn into a "get the job done" schedule. Its embarassing that every cube you walk by around 3pm and after, has internet explorer open to some shopping site.

Stop promoting "workers" to leadership roles. Hire "LEADERS" instead. Promotion should be based on ability to do the work competently and efficiently. The whole accounting department is a joke. There are so many things wrong with the company and with the hospitals that could be fixed/avoided had you set some controls! It is VERY simple. But no. The people you hired to lead a department only know how to work, and have no insight or motivation to make things better. They only know how to do the work that they did before. There is no growth at all, and no increase of efficiency... all these things could reduce the need for more staff, and make everyone happy, and cut costs.

Instead of giving your subordinates performance reviews (or lack of), allow the subordinates to review the management above them. This will open your eyes to any griefs your core workforce has. How can you expect incompetent managers to evaluate the staff, when theyre incompetent?!!? And the sad part is, you dont even know that they suck at being a manager. This would also help be an open forum for ideas that the people who actually communicate with the field IMPROVE functions within a dept.

Why have you never heard of this idea? Because the people you have as managers arent managers. They are just mindless grunts that happen to be given a label of manager/director/senior. Most of these people barely even know how to navigate Excel because they did not grow up with computers.

Don't do it unless you are just looking to put some experience on your resume before you move on.

Former Employee - Veterinary Technician
    Former Employee - Veterinary Technician

I worked at VCA Antech

Pros

I worked with some great and very experienced people.
    The staff cared about the clients and their pets.
    Good quality care of pets.

Cons

I have to start by saying I worked for the hospital 1 year before it was sold to VCA and then I worked at VCA another 1 1/2 years. Prior to the move it was a family type atmosphere where the management and staff truly took care of and cared about eachother. The management was in the building along with the owner so questions and requests were answered fairly quickly.
    Post VCA, we moved from a practice who was on its way to being paperless with a standard software program to a DOS based computer program and triple the amount of paper being used and often wasted. If you have any questions or issues, that has to go from the HM to the regional manager and through several levels to get any answer...that's if you ever get a response. Communication was terrible between management and staff and there were rarely clear, consise answers given.
    The company wants to squeeze every last penny from every client as well as their staff. Sure, you can bring your dog to work with you, but you have to pay the boarding fee and still take care of your own dog. It felt like you were selling things to clients and it made it hard to look the long time clients in the eye anymore. Many clients did not appreciate this approach and we lost a significant amount of these clients throughout my time there.
    When VCA took over, they said "if it's not broke, don't fix it" was going to be their approach as we were a high grossing practice that ran very well. This was an out and out lie, that place was unrecognizable by the time I left.
    I was so dissatisfied with the practice that I left the field completely and have no desire to go back. I had been in the field for 10 years. The turnover rate was outrageously high, long time employees, I'm talking 10 to 15 years, left for other practices even though many had to take pay cuts.
    Unless you are just looking to get your foot in the door at a practice, this is not a place you want to have a career. If you are lucky, there will still be experienced staff there to help you learn and grow.

Leave the practice alone when you buy it. It doesn't need to fit the cookie cutter mold that you believe is what VCA is. The practices that are successful and well run can use tweaking, but it is ruined by the extreme changes.
    Appreciate your employees with money!!! They make a lot less than you and work hardest of all... the free lunch is nice once in awhile, but they have bills and families to take care of too.

There are newer employer reviews for VCA Antech